Macintosh adware like RotatorAssist typically targets the browser programs on Mac system due to the gigantic measure of clients that are utilizing this top of the line machine. The principal expectation of this adware is to flood the computer with various sorts of ads and have it continually appear on internet program like Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox. Sadly, such advertisements can result to undesirable visits to websites with dangerous contents.
Similar to previous variants like UpdaterChannel and ImagineReview, this RotatorAssist adware can spread through Mac OS by several strategies executed by its developers and so far, the most efficient ways to deploy RotatorAssist app is by using the following tactics:
Software Bundling Scam – A lot of file repositories that offers freeware are not trustworthy at all. Most of the offered freeware are carrier of potentially unwanted application (PUA) or adware and that may include RotatorAssist app. For the most part, adware makers showcases their obtrusive projects by joining it to other free programs (freeware or shareware). In addition, there are applications that demands additional products for installation and RotatorAssist could be available on that choices.
Malicious Advertisements – While viewing various sites online, web clients may occasionally experience various advertisements. Once in a while, there are ads that was made solely to spread malicious programs by showing deceiving contents to web users. Clicking these ads can result to installation unwanted application or adware, since certain promotions are configured to infuse malware on the computer through web scripts and executable files.
More on RotatorAssist App
Official web site is offering RotatorAssist as a valuable browser extension that improves online browsing and search experience of Mac users. In any case, goals of adware makers are far different on how they promote the app. When RotatorAssist is installed and active on Mac devices, it will start to show nosy ads like repetitive redirects, excessive pop-ups, unnecessary push notifications, links on search results pages, and campaign banners displaying on random section of web page.
Ads by RotatorAssist can have monitoring modules, which help the attackers to pursue in extracting personal web user’s details. Such trackers could most likely incorporate internet cookies, IP address loggers, and tags onto infected browser application.
For security of Mac system just as the client, removing RotatorAssist app as quickly as time permits is helpful in taking out danger from the computer. There are virus and malware scanners on this page that is valuable in finding and deleting harmful objects associated to RotatorAssist.
Procedures to Remove RotatorAssist from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like RotatorAssist. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing RotatorAssist.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Delete RotatorAssist from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find RotatorAssist or any unwanted program.
4. Drag RotatorAssist to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 3 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to RotatorAssist
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located RotatorAssist, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed RotatorAssist
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- ProductEvent, ManagerPages
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing RotatorAssist to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- ProductEvent, ManagerPages
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to RotatorAssist adware.
Step 5 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including RotatorAssist.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, RotatorAssist is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 6 : Remove RotatorAssist from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove RotatorAssist from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing RotatorAssist. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace RotatorAssist settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by RotatorAssist. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select RotatorAssist or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with RotatorAssist.