A dubious website called Propu.sh is used to deliver harmful advertising. Its major objective is to make money through its own advertising program, and it will do whatever it takes to display commercials in as many locations as possible. In addition to the typical pop-ups and redirects, Propu.sh may show up in the browser program’s push notification box. The website must get users’ consent in order to accomplish this. As a result, the website will display the notice “Propu.sh wants to show notifications” when you first visit it.
Exploiting the push notification
While legitimate websites use this push notification window to send updates and notifications to users, the crooks behind Propu.sh will abuse this capability to display intrusive advertisements on users’ browsers and make money. This dishonest marketing strategy tries to advertise fake software, deceptive web services, and fraudulent money-making schemes. The pop-ups from Propu.sh mostly encourage the installation of ostensibly crucial browser extensions as well as rogue application.
If the web user had been cautious when interacting with screen prompts, the abuse of pop-up notifications should have been avoided. Be careful that online con artists utilize deceptive tactics to lure victims, and Propu.sh is presenting many alluring messages like the following:
- Click Allow to prove that you are not a robot.
- To watch the video, click the Allow button.
- Click Allow to close this window.
- File is ready, click Allow to download.
Stop the Propu.sh pop-up
As was already explained, pressing the Allow button grants Propu.sh and all other petitioner sites full access to the push notification. As a result, the permission may cause the browser to display an excessive number of pop-up advertisements. The obnoxious display can be stopped by simply removing the Propu.sh URL from the browser’s settings. This article provides a comprehensive how-to along with efficient malware and virus scanners to check for the existence of adware on the computer.
|Initial pop-up goal
|Prompting the web user to allow push notifications. If granted, Propu.sh will use this feature to send aggressive pop-up ads.
|To display different kinds of malicious ads on the browser using the push notification window of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge.
Steps to remove Propu.sh pop-up
Most of the time, browser hijackers are combined with intrusive pop-up ads originating from the source website Propu.sh. It is taking advantage of push notification feature of popular internet programs like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge. These pop-up ads from Propu.sh are extra ordinary as it exceeds the normal display volume and they are certainly annoying.
Remove Propu.sh pop-ups and redirects by executing these steps:
For Mac and PC : Get rid of Pop-ups (Notification)
Normally, Propu.sh pop-ups will start to bombard the internet browser screen with pop-ups if a web user is deceived to click the “Allow” button, which triggers the said website to send a push notification. To stop Propu.sh from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below. Remember, these steps may only be successful after the removal of the main component or dubious browser extension.
1. On the Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under the "Sites that sent a lot of notifications" or "Allowed to send notifications" section and look for Propu.sh.
3. Click Don't Allow beside Propu.sh. You may also click on the ellipses to reveal the options.
4. Please restart the Google Chrome browser.
1. On the Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press the Enter key:
2. Navigate below to the Permissions area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for Propu.sh entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes, and restart Mozilla Firefox. Check if Propu.sh pop-up is gone.
1. Assuming that the Edge browser is open, type the following in the address bar and hit Enter on your keyboard.
2. In the Settings, Site Permissions area, select Propu.sh from the list.
3. Click on the Options icon. See the image below.
4. Under the All Sites section, look for Notifications and select Block to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
5. You may now restart Edge browser.
1. On the top menu, click on Safari, and then select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on the Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On the right panel, it will display a list of websites with the "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on Propu.sh.
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart the Safari browser and see if the Propu.sh pop-up is gone.
If Propu.sh pop-up still persist after accomplishing the removal of the URL from the push notification feature, there must be an adware on the computer that is causing the annoyances. Continue with the remaining procedures to scan the system with virus and malware removal software.
Additional steps to remove Propu.sh from PC
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with a powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of pop-up and redirect adware like Propu.sh through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file; please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Propu.sh, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete Propu.sh pop-ups and redirects, including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if you are comfortable manually getting rid of the threat and malicious items linked to it.
Run Another Scan : Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Propu.sh on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Propu.sh.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Propu.sh.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Extra procedures to remove Propu.sh from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide for Mac users. It will help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Propu.sh. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Propu.sh.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Run Another Scan : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Propu.sh.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Propu.sh is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.