Promote Queue is deemed as potentially unwanted application (PUA) that targets internet programs operating on Mac OS. The classification was based on its ability to be installed on the browser without taking permission from Mac user. Makers of Promote Queue are using various misleading tactics to persuade Mac users to download and install an application where it is secretly embedded. Once inside the computer, Promote Queue will perform various malicious action that negatively affects the function of internet browser.
More about Promote Queue
It is installed as PromoteQueue app inside Mac computer. Technically, it operates as browser extension that somehow dominates Safari application. Basing from the icon and graphical interface of its extension, we can confirm that it belongs to a large adware family that also developed and spread similar threats as LearningActivity, CommonGeneration, and OptimalState.
Being in the clan of adware, it is anticipated that Promote Queue is able to perform malicious actions on the browser like the following:
Override Search Settings – Promote Queue is able to designate or promote unknown search services by replacing the current one on the browser. Unfortunately, the endorsed search tool is not as efficient as legitimate ones like Google, Bing, or Yahoo. As a result, Mac user’s online search performance fails to provide useful outcome as long as Promote Queue is in charge.
Data Gathering – The entire PUA and adware community was made with capability of data tracking. For instance, once Promote Queue is installed on the computer, it monitors Mac user’s interaction with the internet. Visited pages, favorite websites, search keywords, username, passwords, and IP address of Mac users are just some of the commonly collected data from the compromised internet software.
Ad Display – Unusual display of ads like excessive pop-ups and persistent browser redirects will begin to show up after the installation of PromoteQueue app. Unfortunately, the ads are not only distracting, they may even drive browser program to malicious landing page that contains malware.
What to do with Promote Queue?
Knowing that Promote Queue is a PUA and Adware that does not provide benefits to end user, immediate removal is suggested. By deleting the threat from the Mac computer, users also restores online safety and privacy. Complete guide to remove Promote Queue is outlined on the next section along with virus and malware scanner that you can use to check for other malicious objects.
Procedures to Remove Promote Queue from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like Promote Queue. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Promote Queue.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete Promote Queue from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Promote Queue or any unwanted program.
4. Drag Promote Queue to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Promote Queue
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Promote Queue, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Promote Queue
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- com.Promote Queue
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- PromoteQueue, LearningActivity, CommonGeneration
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Promote Queue to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- PromoteQueue, LearningActivity, CommonGeneration
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Promote Queue adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Promote Queue.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Promote Queue is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove Promote Queue from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove Promote Queue from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing Promote Queue. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace Promote Queue settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by Promote Queue. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select Promote Queue or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with Promote Queue.