On official website of Mac PowerSuite, the program is marketed as valuable Mac OS utility that features effective tools including Clean Up, Startup Booster, Duplicate Finder, App Uninstaller, Eraser and Automatic Cleanup for redundant objects. Technically, it was designed to eliminate clutter to free up disk space, according to the webpage. Maybe, this attractive catchphrase was the reason why some Mac users where persuaded to install PowerSuite without knowing that it was dubbed harmful by some antivirus applications.
More about Mac PowerSuite
Indeed, PowerSuite for Mac is deemed as potentially unwanted application (PUA) just like MacCleanBooster, Speedup My Mac, Quick Mac Fixer, and the list goes on. It usually penetrates the computer without the proper knowledge of computer users. The misleading technique being used to deploy Mac PowerSuite does not require authorization from Mac users because it is embedded to different freeware or shareware. Installing this free application loads PowerSuite in a simultaneous manner. Therefore, Mac users are completely not aware on its on-boarding process.
Because of sudden appearance by Mac PowerSuite, some even deemed it as a computer virus. Hence, the majority of security software positions the tool as PUA only. With that, it is fortunate to know that PowerSuite do not engage in system infection and does not cause contamination to any files.
Mac PowerSuite as PUA
Being in the category of potentially unwanted program (PUA), it is still unsafe to have PowerSuite on Mac computer. To think of it, this invasive application manages to be installed without proper approval from Mac users. Once active on the computer, Mac PowerSuite runs an automatic scan and detect numerous issues that are non-existent. Meaning, it uses some scare tactics to convince Mac user to purchase the paid version of PowerSuite. Unfortunately, this pushy approach to market the program is too annoying and distracts the computing activities of Mac users.
As long as PowerSuite is installed, there will be continuous pop-up warnings and alerts prompting Mac user to fix the issue and the only way to do this is upgrading the app to its full version. Obviously, Mac PowerSuite is running some kind of scam tactics to swindle money from innocent victims. Therefore, it is highly suggested to remove PowerSuite from Mac computer.
Procedures to Remove PowerSuite
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac computer.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like PowerSuite. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing PowerSuite.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects PowerSuite rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit PowerSuite Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close PowerSuite window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for PowerSuite. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to PowerSuite. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete PowerSuite Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs PowerSuite during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs PowerSuite.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select PowerSuite from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if PowerSuite Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete PowerSuite Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find PowerSuite or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the PowerSuite to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed PowerSuite
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing PowerSuite to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including PowerSuite.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, PowerSuite is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.