PDF-Maker is one of Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUA) that usually invades computer without permission of users. Developers endorses it as a genuine and useful tool that is helpful in quickly converting document files into PDF formats. At first, it seems like a typical application like any other software but unfortunately, what it claims to be is not really how it behaves. Being a conversion tool is just a way to trick web users into downloading or installing PDF-Maker on the browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari.
Is PDF-Maker a browser hijacker?
PDF-Maker is an unwanted app that penetrates the computer and browser programs without notice. Once it is inside the computer, it causes modifications to web browsers. Most common targets of PDF-Maker browser hijacker are Google Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox. It change the web browser default setting by inputting the unwanted web address PDF-Maker.com, replacing home page, new tab page, and search engine. After these alterations, annoying intrusive ads will begin to appear consistently. These ads may look ordinary but it can cause risks to users.
Is PDF-Maker risky?
The PDF-Maker behavior operates inside the system without computer user’s knowledge. From the usual homepage that transforms into PDF-Maker.com is a common indication that adware is installed on the browser. It has associated ads that will keep appearing while browsing the internet. The ads unusual kind and cannot be trusted because it can redirect users to harmful sites such as sale-based ad pages, scam, or and adult related websites.
These annoying advertisements can be in the form of banners, discount coupons, commercial ads, surveys, or pop-up ads. It runs through the browser in order to aim commission or revenue from users. Once the ads are clicked either mistakenly or not, it will automatically redirect users to questionable web pages. Also, some ads can execute scripts to download or install other unwanted apps or programs to computer which can lead to further infections.
How PDF-Maker enters the computer?
Adware or PUA can be installed to computers by means of software bundles or packages and clicking intrusive ads. Careless downloading and installation of freeware without thoroughly checking the contents can let unwanted apps like PDF-Maker pass through computers. Developers of this adware hide this malicious app to bundles of software offered during installation of host program. The moment it penetrates the system, it will begin its true malicious functions. Meanwhile, clicking intrusive ads can also be a possibility of letting through this unwanted app to access computer. Not all ads are legitimate, sometimes it is a way of cyber crooks to market and spread their dubious software to computer users globally.
PDF-Maker Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to PDF-Maker.
Remove PDF-Maker Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find PDF-Maker or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall PDF-Maker Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to PDF-Maker and remove it from the browser.
Delete PDF-Maker Extension from Safari
1. Run Safari browser application.
2. Click on Safari Settings icon located on upper right corner of the window.
3. Choose Preferences from the drop-down list.
4. On Extension window, select Extensions tab.
5. Select PDF-Maker or relevant entry and remove it from Safari.
6. Lastly, go to Safari Settings once again and select Downloads from the drop down list.
7. If Pdf-maker.safariextz is present, click on Clear button to remove the unwanted extension.
Remove PDF-Maker Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of PDF-Maker from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If PDF-Maker is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select PDF-Maker or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of PDF-Maker on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by PDF-Maker.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to PDF-Maker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like PDF-Maker.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like PDF-Maker.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to PDF-Maker and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from PDF-Maker
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If PDF-Maker is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete PDF-Maker
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete PDF-Maker, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by PDF-Maker and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. PDF-Maker should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.
Reset Safari Browser to Normal Settings
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Click on the Safari Settings icon located on upper right corner of the browser window.
3. Select Reset Safari from the drop-down list.
4. Pop-up window will appear. You may select all boxes for total reset or follow the options below if you only want to remove PDF-Maker from Safari browser.
5. Please restart Safari browser for changes to take effect.