Owsc.xyz is a browser hijacker that infects the computer and targets internet software apps. Owsc.xyz aims to modify the web browser settings without permission from user. Once installed, Owsc.xyz will do some operations that the computer user does not intend to do so. Primarily, Owsc.xyz will change the existing home page and default search engine of the browser. Like for example, instead of the usual Google search, the browser will present a different search engine. This happens because the adware assigns its own web URL Owsc.xyz.com as the new settings of the browser.
Another effect of having Owsc.xyz on the computer is the appearance of unwanted ads and pops on the browser persistently. Owsc.xyz mostly generates intrusive advertisements and pop-ups that usually promote fake software updates, scams, unwanted programs, or any infectious content. Such ads can pose more threats since some of them can run scripts to download and install malware to the computer. Aside from that, there are ads that can redirect web user into questionable sites. These ads are designed to reroute online users to certain web pages in order to increase traffic on the website. In other words, whenever the Owsc.xyz generates traffic to a destination website, the higher advertising revenue will be. The more ads clicked the more income the hijackers can get. In short, browser hijacker like Owsc.xyz produces revenue by the number of clicks on advertisements. It functions very much the same as older versions as Biosc.xyz, Mxss.xyz, and Bmps.xyz.
In some extreme cases, the impact of Owsc.xyz can lead to severe computer problems. Apart from clicking ads, Owsc.xyz makes it possible to manipulate the browser into downloading malicious software. The browser could voluntarily download spyware, ransomware, or any type of malware that can seriously harm the computer. On the other hand, Owsc.xyz might be after the web user’s valuable information saved on the browser. Owsc.xyz can track the banking details or any personal data about the computer user. In addition, Owsc.xyz could potentially see every input that the web user type on the computer.
Unwanted programs often spread via software bundles downloaded from untrustworthy sites. Usually, Owsc.xyz is bundled with certain freeware or shareware. Such free software includes Owsc.xyz on the installation process without the online user’s authorization. Therefore, computer users should be attentive while installing programs and always inspect every part of the process. And if in case, the computer is already infected with Owsc.xyz or any malware, the web user should remove it immediately upon detection.
Owsc.xyz Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Owsc.xyz.
Remove Owsc.xyz Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Owsc.xyz, QxSearch, or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Owsc.xyz Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Owsc.xyz or QxSearch and remove it from the browser.
Remove Owsc.xyz Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Owsc.xyz from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Owsc.xyz is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Owsc.xyz, QxSearch, or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Owsc.xyz on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Owsc.xyz.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Owsc.xyz.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like Owsc.xyz.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Owsc.xyz.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Owsc.xyz and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Owsc.xyz
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If Owsc.xyz is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete Owsc.xyz
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete Owsc.xyz, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by Owsc.xyz and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. Owsc.xyz should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.
Reset Safari Browser to Normal Settings
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Click on the Safari Settings icon located on upper right corner of the browser window.
3. Select Reset Safari from the drop-down list.
4. Pop-up window will appear. You may select all boxes for total reset or follow the options below if you only want to remove Owsc.xyz from Safari browser.
5. Please restart Safari browser for changes to take effect.
Post Last Modified On April 12, 2020