If a browser hijacker compromised any internet software, web users are going to experience unusual performance on the browser. The signs of infection could be anywhere from unsolicited replacement of homepage settings to excessive display of intrusive ads. In short, different browser hijackers have various effects on the browser and system in general. On this topic, we will cover OMG Search browser hijacker threat. As of this moment and after thorough diagnostics, we can tell that this threat is a less obtrusive and not as harmful as notorious browse hijacker like Search Baron, Search Marquis, and Safe Finder.
OMG Search is spreading over the internet in the same way as other homepage hijacker is being distributed. It normally end up on web user’s computer through doubtful software bundles often hosted on insecure websites. Other method of propagation for OMG Search is via intrusive advertising campaign that persuades web users to download certain application by using misleading tactics. Like for example, the ad may pretend as software update, media player, or anything that is worth downloading. Once obtained and after its successful installation OMG Search immediate possess homepage and assign Omgsearch.info as the sole search provider.
While OMG Search is in possession of the internet browser program, it can track web users online activities and log several data like search keywords, favourite websites, browsing history, and so on. Moreover, and just like nearly all browser hijackers, OMG Search may exhibit abundance of ads that brings total distraction to user’s browsing activity. Unfortunately, ads from OMG Search operation can point the browser to a malicious websites that can be the source of added adware or malware infection.
Statement above is a proof that web user should not allow OMG Search to stay on the browser even for short time. In the case that it is already present, immediate removal is suggested. Systematic guide to remove OMG Search is outlined on this page along with virus and malware removal tools.
OMG Search Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting Omgsearch.info hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete OMG Search Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to OMG Search.
Remove OMG Search Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find OMG Search or relevant entry like Omgsearch.info and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall OMG Search Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to OMG Search and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Omgsearch.info is also gone from the homepage.
Remove OMG Search Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of OMG Search from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete Omgsearch.info from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If OMG Search is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups originating from Omgsearch.info, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select OMG Search or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove OMG Search automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like OMG Search that assigns Omgsearch.info as the homepage URL.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to OMG Search.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including OMG Search and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the OMG Search browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat and Omgsearch.info still exists on internet application, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of OMG Search on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces Omgsearch.info pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by OMG Search.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to OMG Search. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with Omgsearch.info.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by OMG Search. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with OMG Search. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from OMG Search. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of OMG Search.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed OMG Search extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to OMG Search. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. OMG Search should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by OMG Search and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Post Last Modified On June 24, 2020