MyWeatherFree is a potentially unwanted application (PUA) that functions as browser hijacker. This threat mainly targets popular browser programs like Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox. MyWeatherFree is marketed as browser application that provides quick directions, traffic, routes, and maps. In addition, the program claims that once it is installed, web user may experience improvement on online browsing and searching experience.
The assertion of MyWeatherFree that it is a valuable app is a deceitful tactics that aims to persuade web users. Once successfully installed on the computer, it accomplishes unwanted browser modification that bypasses user’s authority. For one, it will assign Myweatherfree.com as the new homepage. Start-up tabs and search engine also resolves to the said address and acts as default search result provider. Since MyWeatherFree is an unfamiliar name when it comes to online search, web user should not anticipate useful outcome from this cyber crook’s controlled program. In fact, the search functions runs a series of redirects before displaying the final result, which only shows that it forwards web user’s inquiry to different servers. The final result normally resolves to Yahoo or Bing search and this was done to avoid suspicion about its legitimacy.
MyWeatherFree is also dubbed as an adware because essential element of its operation is to exhibit advertisements on the browser as means to generate profit. The ads from this malicious browser extension commonly shows harmful sponsored contents and links that pushes for the download of questionable application. Moreover, MyWeatherFree could also process browser redirects that point the internet page to websites that hosts adware or malware.
The evaluation conducted by computer security experts towards MyWeatherFree is troublesome. It does not benefit the end user and the program was made to literally take advantage of the compromised internet program. Thus, immediate removal of MyWeatherFree is recommended. Steps to eliminate this threat from an infected computer is provided below. Be sure to carry out the steps in exact order to ensure complete removal of the adware.
MyWeatherFree Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer. The guide includes procedures to remove the unwanted URL Myweatherfree.com that may have taken over the homepage.
In order to totally eliminate the adware MyWeatherFree and its relevant malicious domain Myweatherfree.com, it is vital to follow the remove process in exact manner.
Instant Removal : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove MyWeatherFree automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering internet browser threat like MyWeatherFree that slows down online browsing activities. Right after the threat removal, the unwanted web address Myweatherfree.com from homepage is expected to be eliminated too.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to MyWeatherFree as well as Myweatherfree.com pop-ups and hijacker.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats because one of those might be the responsible for showing of MyWeatherFree. Please restart the computer when necessary.
The chances of stopping Myweatherfree.com pop-ups or redirects is also possible after the threat removal. If it still remains, please follow the Myweatherfree.com pop-up removal guide.
The computer should now be free from MyWeatherFree. If you feel that the above solution is not sufficient in getting rid of the browser hijacker, please proceed with the succeeding steps.
Step 1 : Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using an add-on called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. This is the reason why Myweatherfree.com is set on homepage and search tool. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to MyWeatherFree.
Remove MyWeatherFree Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find MyWeatherFree or relevant entry like Myweatherfree.com and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall MyWeatherFree Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to MyWeatherFree or Myweatherfree.com and remove it from the browser.
Remove MyWeatherFree Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of MyWeatherFree from Toolbars and Extension and remove Myweatherfree.com Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If MyWeatherFree is still present on the IE browser and homepage is still under the control of Myweatherfree.com, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select MyWeatherFree or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of MyWeatherFree on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications that also causes Myweatherfree.com pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by MyWeatherFree and Myweatherfree.com.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions (MyWeatherFree), plug-ins, adware, and pop-up makers like Myweatherfree.com.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Step 3 : Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for MyWeatherFree and any possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, as well as unwanted homepage like Myweatherfree.com.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like MyWeatherFree. The tool is also helpful in eliminating the source of Myweatherfree.com pop-ups and redirects.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to MyWeatherFree and other suspicious entities that redirects the homepage to Myweatherfree.com. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option : Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from MyWeatherFree
Not all adware and PUP's are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instance, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If MyWeatherFree is still bothering you after completing all the steps above and Myweatherfree.com pop-ups and homepage remains, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete MyWeatherFree
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete MyWeatherFree, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by MyWeatherFree adware and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating "Give Firefox a Tune Up". Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. MyWeatherFree should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox. Homepage should now reveal the legitimate URL and not Myweatherfree.com.
How to remove Myweatherfree.com Pop-ups (Notification)
Most of the time, browser hijackers are combined with intrusive pop-up ads originating from the source website Myweatherfree.com. It is taking advantage of push notification feature of popular internet programs like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge. These pop-up ads from Myweatherfree.com are extra ordinary as it exceeds the normal display volume and they are certainly annoying.
Normally, Myweatherfree.com pop-ups will start to bombard internet browser screen with pop-ups if web user was deceived to click “Allow” button that triggers the said website to send push notification. To stop Myweatherfree.com from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below. Remember, these steps may only be successful after the removal of the main component or dubious browser extension.
1. On Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under "Allow" section and look for Myweatherfree.com.
3. Click the ellipses (3 dots) beside Myweatherfree.com list to reveal the options.
4. Click on Block or Remove to stop Myweatherfree.com from displaying pop-up ads on Google Chrome browser.
6. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
1. On Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press Enter key:
2. Navigate below to Permission area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for Myweatherfree.com entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox and check if Myweatherfree.com pop-up is gone.
1. On top menu, click on Safari and then, select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On right panel, it will display a list of websites with "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on Myweatherfree.com.
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart Safari browser and see if Myweatherfree.com pop-up is gone.
1. Assuming that Edge browser is open, click on the ellipses (3 dots) on upper right corner to open the Settings. Alternatively, you can press Alt + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Under Website Permissions area, click on Manage Permissions button.
4. Find and select Myweatherfree.com from the list. Click on X button to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
5. You may now restart Edge browser.