MyShortcutTab is a questionable computer software that enters the browser program through a misleading online marketing technique. Developers of MyShortcutTab are making use of software “bundling” hoax to install the said application without the full knowledge of computer users. The carrier of this suspicious browser extension are freeware that several online ads are promoting as valuable program like utilities, medial player, internet speed booster, creativity app, and so on. Once installed, MyShortcutTab likewise gets onboard while computer users are totally unaware of it. Because of this invasive technique, computer security professionals dubbed MyShortcutTab as potentially unwanted program (PUP).
After the installation, MyShortcutTab waste no time in making changes on internet browser program. It injects a code that tracks web users browsing activity where it logs details such as search keywords, favorite websites, IP address, and relevant data. Based from the gathered information, MyShortcutTab generates advertisements to serve its primary objective of generating online profit by exploiting the compromised browser application. While it continues to gather browser-related information, user’s online privacy is at risks due to its exposure to cyber offenders.
Aside from being a threat to ones online privacy, MyShortcutTab can cause disturbances on internet browser program. It acts on its own in replacing the default settings on homepage and new tab by appointing an unusual search engine along with new layout, which we find messy (see image below). So basically, MyShortcutTab invasion allows it to take full control of internet browser program where user’s preferences are totally disregarded.
Ads by MyShortcutTab are not the usual thing that we commonly see on typical web pages. Makers of this adware are utilizing an underground ad network that provides aggressive pop-up ads and redirects, which mostly contains malicious links. So, accessing any advertisements originating from MyShortcutTab can cause additional adware or malware infection.
Removal of MyShortcutTab is suggested in order to restore safety and privacy on the browser. Therefore, we made a simple guide on this page to get rid of the threat with minimal effort on the part of victims.
MyShortcutTab Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete MyShortcutTab Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to MyShortcutTab.
Remove MyShortcutTab Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find MyShortcutTab or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall MyShortcutTab Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to MyShortcutTab and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that MyShortcutTab is also gone from the homepage.
Remove MyShortcutTab Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of MyShortcutTab from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete unwanted entry from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If MyShortcutTab is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select MyShortcutTab or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove MyShortcutTab automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like MyShortcutTab that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like MyShortcutTab.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to MyShortcutTab and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the MyShortcutTab browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of MyShortcutTab on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by MyShortcutTab.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to MyShortcutTab. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by MyShortcutTab. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with MyShortcutTab. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from MyShortcutTab. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of MyShortcutTab.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed MyShortcutTab extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to MyShortcutTab. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. MyShortcutTab should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by MyShortcutTab and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.