Mybrowser-search.com is an unknown homepage that forces itself on the browser through the help of browser extension called My Browser Search. The issue for having such browser hijacker is that user may not obtain the same accurate and fast search outcome as compare to previously set default provider like Google. In addition, Mybrowser-search.com is deemed as potentially unwanted program (PUP) that employs tracking modules to monitor web user’s activities and records vital information like search keywords, favorite websites, usual destination URL, and private data including username and password.
The spread technique applied to deploy Mybrowser-search.com over the internet involves misleading scheme like software bundling hoax and malicious advertisements explained as follows:
Software bundling technique – This method gives makers of Mybrowser-search.com to quickly distribute the app by bundling its code to several freeware, shareware, or third party applications. Then, they host it on several file-sharing servers and use various promotions to attrack web users to download the app. On general observation, Mybrowser-search.com and most adware are integrated to widely-downloaded software like games, utilities, creativity app, media player, and file converter. Once executed on the computer, the carrier and the adware simultaneously installs without notifying computer users about the integration of Mybrowser-search.com on target browser program.
Malicious Ad Campaign – Mybrowser-search.com spread quickly on this method because the ad usually disguise as software update. Instead of usual pop-up ads, online fraudster can cleverly design the pop-up to appear as legitimate Windows alert stating several issues detected and prompts web users to download a software update. Ordinary web users often carelessly acquire the purported program update without knowing that it can cause adware infection that allows Mybrowser-search.com to control the homepage, new tab, and search engine of infected browser application.
The inflicted changes of Mybrowser-search.com on internet software do not only focus on controlling various pages, it was also designed to highlight advertisements especially during browsing session. So, it is really annoying to have Mybrowser-search.com on the browser. Immediate removal is recommended to restore Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge to its previous normal state.
Mybrowser-search.com Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Mybrowser-search.com.
Remove Mybrowser-search.com Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Mybrowser-search.com, My Browser Search, or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Mybrowser-search.com Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Mybrowser-search.com or My Browser Search, and remove it from the browser.
Remove Mybrowser-search.com Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Mybrowser-search.com from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Mybrowser-search.com is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Mybrowser-search.com, My Browser Search, or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Mybrowser-search.com on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Mybrowser-search.com.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Mybrowser-search.com.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like Mybrowser-search.com.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Mybrowser-search.com.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Mybrowser-search.com and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Mybrowser-search.com
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If Mybrowser-search.com is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete Mybrowser-search.com
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete Mybrowser-search.com, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by Mybrowser-search.com and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. Mybrowser-search.com should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.