Having a mysterious search engine like Search.hmysweepstab.com on internet browser program is a sign of adware threatening to infect the computer even more. The attack will not stop on conquering the homepage alone; it could also lead to assertive pop-ups and redirects that may infect the computer with malware or virus. The responsible for such unnecessary and unsafe actions is the relevant browser extension called My Sweeps Tab.
About My Sweeps Tab Adware
My Sweeps Tab is an adware that stems from a large adware family. Among its associates are similar suspicious browser extension namely Template Helper, Plenty O’ Apps, and Quick Forms. All threats from this clan possess the same characteristics and is very notorious in capturing widely used internet software including Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge. My Sweeps Tab is a clever type of adware that is able to accomplish changes on the browser that overthrows the preferences of web users. Instead of the default homepage and search, My Sweeps Tab replaces them with Search.hmysweepstab.com. The newly assigned search provider is obviously do not have full capacity to provide quick and efficient search outcome as compare to previous search engine. It is unfortunate that web users will have difficulty restoring the settings to previous configuration because My Sweeps Tab can reinstate itself through the help of integrated scripts, codes, and browser helper objects.
My Sweeps Tab Infection
To avoid My Sweeps Tab, it is crucial for web users to learn the sources of this adware. As usual and favored by nearly all adware makers, software bundling is the best method to spread My Sweeps Tab. Web users are unaware that applications they are downloading freely from doubtful online servers are filled with adware. This rationale of infiltration prompts computer security analyst to tag My Sweeps Tab as potentially unwanted program (PUP).
Alternatively, malicious advertisements popping out from websites that are engage in illegal media streaming and software piracy are also the source of adware infection. The underground ad network allocates certain spaces for My Sweeps Tab authors to promote the program as valuable software that is helpful in providing sweepstakes and lottery links. Moreover, it claims to enhance online search experience of user and this is the main reason why they opted to replace homepage and search settings.
My Sweeps Tab Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Instant Removal : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to My Sweeps Tab.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats because one of those might be the responsible for showing of My Sweeps Tab. Please restart the computer when necassary.
The computer should now be free from My Sweeps Tab. If you feel that the above solution is not sufficient in getting rid of the browser hijacker, please proceed with the succeeding steps.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to My Sweeps Tab.
Remove My Sweeps Tab Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find My Sweeps Tab or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall My Sweeps Tab Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to My Sweeps Tab and remove it from the browser.
Remove My Sweeps Tab Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of My Sweeps Tab from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If My Sweeps Tab is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select My Sweeps Tab or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of My Sweeps Tab on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by My Sweeps Tab.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to My Sweeps Tab.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like My Sweeps Tab.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like My Sweeps Tab.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to My Sweeps Tab and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from My Sweeps Tab
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If My Sweeps Tab is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete My Sweeps Tab
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete My Sweeps Tab, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by My Sweeps Tab and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. My Sweeps Tab should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.
Get rid of Search.hmysweepstab.com Pop-ups (Notification)
Most of the time, browser hijackers are combined with intrusive pop-up ads originating from the source website Search.hmysweepstab.com. It is taking advantage of push notification feature of popular internet programs like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge. These pop-up ads from Search.hmysweepstab.com are extra ordinary as it exceeds the normal display volume and they are certainly annoying.
Normally, Search.hmysweepstab.com pop-ups will start to bombard internet browser screen with pop-ups if web user was deceived to click “Allow” button that triggers the said website to send push notification. To stop Search.hmysweepstab.com from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below. Remember, these steps may only be sucessful after the removal of the main component or dubious browser extension.
1. On Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under "Allow" section and look for Search.hmysweepstab.com.
3. Click the ellipses (3 dots) beside Search.hmysweepstab.com list to reveal the options.
4. Click on Block or Remove to stop Search.hmysweepstab.com from displaying pop-up ads on Google Chrome browser.
6. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
1. On Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press Enter key:
2. Navigate below to Permission area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for Search.hmysweepstab.com entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox and check if Search.hmysweepstab.com pop-up is gone.
1. On top menu, click on Safari and then, select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On right panel, it will display a list of websites with "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on Search.hmysweepstab.com.
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart Safari browser and see if Search.hmysweepstab.com pop-up is gone.
1. Assuming that Edge browser is open, click on the ellipses (3 dots) on upper right corner to open the Settings. Alternatively, you can press Alt + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Under Website Permissions area, click on Manage Permissions button.
4. Find and select Search.hmysweepstab.com from the list. Click on X button to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
5. You may now restart Edge browser.