My ShopBot is an adware made specifically for Mac users. It allegedly allows user to get coupons and sales directly on their browser. However, this program may also exhibit undue pop-up advertisements that are too irrelevant. Because of this unruly behavior, many people are upset on how it performs inside their Macintosh computer and Safari browser.
Third-party software or often called Freeware are the main transporter of My ShopBot adware. They get slip into the computer without user’s consent. Another accomplice to the distribution of My ShopBot are programs participating in pay-per-install scheme. Some examples are download manager, free games, utilities, media players, converters, and many more. These free software may also bring-in variants like Cool Shopper, ShopTool, and EasyShopper.
After successful installation, the adware uses content-layering method to exhibit advertisements on affected browser. These virtually published advertisements appear to be part of the web page. There will be other changes on the browser committed by My ShopBot, which serves a different purpose. For example, internet cookies dropped by this adware are aiming to spy on user’s browsing activities. It records visited web sites, search inquiries, and so on.
Keep in mind that any advertisements coming from adware like My ShopBot can be risky. It comes from a doubtful network of advertisers, which are often members of PUP publishers. Ads by My ShopBot may contain links that can lead to more adware infection. Thus, it is highly recommended to get rid of any malicious programs especially if not deemed necessary.
At this moment, My ShopBot works only on Mac OS X computer system. It mainly affects Google Chrome and Safari browser. However, there is still a possibility that publisher of this adware may release Windows and Mobile versions soon.
Online Security Scanner Report for macmyshopbot.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Aug. 11, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Aug. 11, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: Aug. 11, 2016|
Procedures to Remove My ShopBot Adware from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix : Instant Removal
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP’s. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser adware that causes annoyances. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on “Start Combo Scan“.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to My ShopBot
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. My ShopBot, SearchAssist. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located My ShopBot, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed My ShopBot
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- com.My ShopBot.agent
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the My ShopBot to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- My ShopBot
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to My ShopBot.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including My ShopBot.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, My ShopBot is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove My ShopBot from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from My ShopBot.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override My ShopBot custom search engine.