Developers of MacRepair are utilizing misleading technique to promote and market this application over the internet. Official website states that this tool is a complete Mac security program with enhanced protection module. Features of MacRepair include app uninstaller, duplicate finder, old files cleaner, malware scanner internet security, encryption and so on. At first glance, no one may realize that this program is part of rogue software family with sole purpose of swindling money from its victims.
It is noteworthy to point out that MacRepair is a bogus program that is very similar to other fraudulent Mac utility application as Total Mac Care, Speedup My Mac, and many more. These programs utilize malicious advertising campaign that purportedly running an online scan on web user’s computer. Subsequently, the web page declares that a number of Trojans, viruses, and malware were found on the computer and advises users to download MacRepair. Without realizing that this action will cause more harm than good, users often fall victims to this rogue application.
Once MacRepair is installed on the computer, it will run the same simulated virus scans. User will receive the same output that dozens of threats were located on the system. But this time, the program will prompt to fix all identified threat by buying the registered version of MacRepair. It is clear at this point that the fake tool is forcing users to pay for the app by using scare tactics like false detection, fake warnings, and alarming pop-ups. In addition, the rogue tool repeatedly pop-ups a message “Get 25% Off MacRepair and get your Mac running better with these great tools.”
As computer security experts always suggest, never pay for bogus anti-virus application like MacRepair. Instead, perform immediate action to get rid of it as soon as possible to avoid any further harm on the computer. On this page, we are providing efficient procedures, anti-virus, and anti-malware tools to help user in the effective removal of MacRepair.
Procedures to Remove MacRepair
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac computer.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like MacRepair. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing MacRepair.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects MacRepair rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit MacRepair Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close MacRepair window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for MacRepair. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to MacRepair. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete MacRepair Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs MacRepair during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs MacRepair.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select MacRepair from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if MacRepair Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete MacRepair Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find MacRepair or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the MacRepair to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed MacRepair
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- /Users/users/Library/Application Support/com.tweakbit.macRepair
- /Users/users/Library/Application Support/com.tweakbit.macRepairHelper
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing MacRepair to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including MacRepair.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, MacRepair is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.