Some Mac computer users may view Mac Tonic as valid program due to its clean and neat user interface. Be wary that this tool is considered as potentially unwanted program (PUP) and security experts placed it under the category of Rogue Program. It comes from family of malware called PCVARK. Other malicious product from the same group includes Unpollute My Mac, Mac Tweaker, and many more.
Similar to its other variants, Mac Tonic may enter the system via dubious software bundles. Attackers are also employing browser redirects to point browser to malicious websites that runs drop-by-download scheme. Usually, redirect or pop-up pages contain fake updates for media players and certain Adobe products.
Once installed on the computer, Mac Tonic runs itself using a background process that triggers its initialization from time-to-time. Presence of this rogue application can be scary. It produces alerts and warnings stating several infection, errors, and troubles on the computer. In addition, Mac Tonic scans the computer and pretends to discover various types of danger. Keep in mind that all of these alarming findings by Mac Tonic aim to deceive users and persuade them to buy the registered version of this product.
The actual dilemma that user have to tackle during this situation is no other than Mac Tonic itself. Our best advice is to remove it from the computer as soon as possible. Mac Tonic is a fake program that produces unreal alert to scare computer users. Below is a simple guide to take out this rogue application and restore previous normal operation of Mac system.
Online Security Scanner Report for mactonic.net:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Aug. 16, 2018|
|Unverified||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Aug. 16, 2018|
|Currently safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Aug. 16, 2018|
Procedures to Remove Mac Tonic
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Mac Tonic. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
Click here to Download Combo Cleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Mac Tonic.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Quit Mac Tonic Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Mac Tonic window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Mac Tonic. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Mac Tonic. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Mac Tonic Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Mac Tonic during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Mac Tonic.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Mac Tonic from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Mac Tonic
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Mac Tonic to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
- Mac Tonic
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Mac Tonic.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Mac Tonic is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.