Another computer security impostor to watch for is Mac Security Plus. The program is not really disseminated competently via official website, therefore the creators of this rogue app is relying intensively on unfailing software bundling method of distribution. This chosen channel to propagate Mac Security Plus is expected to infect scores of Mac users while it is inside the expansive circulation of freeware bundles.
The program itself appears to be an efficiently developed tool and gives user a misleading notion that having Mac Security Plus will keep their Mac computers safe from virus, malware, and similar threats. On the other hand, the program clearly demonstrates the property of rogue anti-virus software. From World Wide Web propagation to local installation of this rogue app, the unlawful mechanics of cyber criminals is obviously effective.
The dreadful scheme of Mac Security Plus starts with flooding the host computer with fake virus detection and other sorts of tests that triggers scary warnings and alerts to pop-up on the screen. While emulating the system scans, Mac Security Plus blends the report with less significant findings to establish a perception that computer requires immediate fixing. To support these troublesome discoveries and to sustain the scare factor that it had inflicted to victims, Mac Security Plus continually issues alarming pop-ups containing reminders that ignoring the current deprived system status may result to a more serious problems.
Keep in mind that all rogue security products are dubbed as ‘scareware’. This denotes that they are employing emulated scans and false-positive findings to pressure victims into buying the paid version of the computer security application. As mentioned, Mac Security Plus is malicious and to fix the system, the focus of troubleshooting should be on this unlawful product alone. The guide on this page is helpful in cleaning up the infected Mac system. Please execute the procedures in exact order.
Procedures to Remove Mac Security Plus
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Mac Security Plus. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Mac Security Plus.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Mac Security Plus rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit Mac Security Plus Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Mac Security Plus window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Mac Security Plus. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Mac Security Plus. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete Mac Security Plus Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Mac Security Plus during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Mac Security Plus.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Mac Security Plus from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Mac Security Plus Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete Mac Security Plus Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Mac Security Plus or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Mac Security Plus to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Mac Security Plus
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Mac Security Plus to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
- Mac Security Plus
- Mac Security Plus
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Mac Security Plus.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Mac Security Plus is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.