Mac Enhancer is a rogue application that was made specifically to swindle money from Macintosh computer users. However, ordinary users may not recognize the dangers of installing this program right away because it has neat graphical user interface (GUI). In addition, official website is promoting Mac Enhancer as combination of powerful and intuitive tools that cleans, secures, and boosts Mac performance.
Developers of this bogus security and optimization product are utilizing couple of options to spread the program all over the web. Browser redirect initiated by associated malicious website that prompts web users to scan the system are often source of Mac Enhancer infection. The site also masquerades as virus scanner and quickly identifies numerous threats on the computer. Consequently, it prompts to fix the problem by downloading and installing Mac Enhancer.
Another intrusive technique that malware authors are using is deceptive software bundles. On this instance, Mac Enhancer installer package is incorporated to numerous freeware that users may find very tempting to download. This malicious freeware are typically offered on dubious websites where users will arrive after viewing a series of browser redirects.
As mentioned, there is no initial indication of how hazardous it is until it was fully installed and activated on Macintosh computer. Aside from performing unsolicited scanning, which hinders computer user’s activity, Mac Enhancer also produces annoying pop-ups and warnings reporting false information of issues that requires immediate fix.
Obviously, Mac Enhancer’s execution of thorough scan and diagnostics meant to provide false information in order to trick victims and commit them to buy this tool. As always advice, never pay for unknown security and optimizer tool like Mac Enhancer. The best solution when spotting these types of program is to proceed with removal right away before it can further harm the computer. Complete steps to get rid of Mac Enhancer are presented below.
Procedures to Remove Mac Enhancer
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Mac Enhancer. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Mac Enhancer.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Mac Enhancer rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Quit Mac Enhancer Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Mac Enhancer window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Mac Enhancer. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Mac Enhancer. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Mac Enhancer Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Mac Enhancer during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Mac Enhancer.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Mac Enhancer from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Mac Enhancer Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 4: Delete Mac Enhancer Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Mac Enhancer or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Mac Enhancer to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 5 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Mac Enhancer
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Mac Enhancer to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 6 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Mac Enhancer.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Mac Enhancer is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.