LaunchSystem is a doubtful extension for internet application operating on Mac OS environment. It can appear without a notice on Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox. The icon of LaunchSystem will likewise be visible on Dock, Application folder, as well as internet browser settings. Because of this intrusive behavior, most Mac users who come into contact with it assumes that it is part of virus infection. Fortunately, Launch System does not fall under the virus category list. That being said, this app is less hazardous and not as harmful as computer viruses.
LaunchSystem Mac Penetration
The overall community of adware where LaunchSystem app belongs spreads online using various schemes. Hence, it was observed that attackers are relying more on software bundling technique to widely spread the unwanted program. LaunchSystem app could be embedded to freeware like games, utilities, creativity suites, media player, file converter, and any free software that confidently attracts users from downloading. Normally, these types of cost-less applications are offered on distrustful sites like torrent portals, suspicious freeware downloads, and cracked software sites. There are also cases that ads originating from dubious sites as Disputerer.work, Adminished.work, or Undertain.work will force the acquisition of LaunchSystem app carrier including fake update for Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, and media player.
Next to the software bundling technique, actors who made LaunchSystem also employs aggressive types of advertisements to approach web users. This pushy ad campaign may also pretend as a valuable software update to lure online users to download and install the setup file, which will actually launch the process of loading LaunchSystem onto the Mac computer.
LaunchSystem is Both an Adware and PUA
Like older variants as ExecutiveOperation and UpdateAdmin, LaunchSystem app operates as adware and PUA. It was labeled potentially unwanted application (PUA) because it is well versed in using different misleading tactics to persuade users and carry out an unwanted installation. After it successfully penetrated Mac computer, LaunchSystem app launches an ad campaign to display different aggressive advertisements in the browser program. Keep in mind that ads originating from LaunchSystem are coming from an underground ad network, and therefore, the majority of these may contain links that forwards the browser to bad landing pages.
Presence of LaunchSystem is the basis for different annoyances and browser misbehavior. Although it is not deemed as computer virus, risk factors could possibly develop during its existence in Mac computer. So, the removal of Launch System app is highly recommended. For a complete set of guides, please navigate the next section. Also included are virus and malware scanners to check if computer is infected with extra adware or malware.
Procedures to Remove LaunchSystem from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer. Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
To successfully remove LaunchSystem from your Mac, follow the steps below:
- Quick Fix : Scan the computer with the Combo Cleaner tool.
- Step 1 : Uninstall LaunchSystem from the Applications folder.
- Step 2 : Remove malicious browser extensions.
- Step 3 : Delete LaunchSystem files from your Mac computer.
- Step 4 : Run another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
- Step 5 : Remove LaunchSystem entries from internet browsers.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like LaunchSystem. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing LaunchSystem.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete LaunchSystem from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find LaunchSystem or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag LaunchSystem to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to LaunchSystem
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located LaunchSystem, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed LaunchSystem
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- ExecutiveOperation, UpdateAdmin
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing LaunchSystem to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- ExecutiveOperation, UpdateAdmin
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to LaunchSystem adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including LaunchSystem.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and LaunchSystem is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove LaunchSystem from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove LaunchSystem from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the LaunchSystem setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace LaunchSystem settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by LaunchSystem. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select LaunchSystem or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with LaunchSystem.