GoSearch9 is presently causing troubles on browser applications that are operating on Mac computers. Because of this, computer security analyst dubbed GoSearch9 as potentially unwanted program (PUA) with special characteristics of browser hijacking and exhibiting excessive advertisements. It aims to deliver internet browser program to different distrusted websites and like ad display, makers of GoSearch9 also generates profit though this internet traffic referral scheme.
Sources of GoSearch9 adware
The primary approach where GoSearch9 widely spread is the same technique that nearly all adware are applying. This scheme requires GoSearch9 to be embedded to various attractive freeware like games, utilities, productivity apps, media player, download manager, internet speed booster, file converter, and similar free software. These types of freeware are globally available and any web user may obtain them from different sources. The exact locations are commonly file servers or torrent sites that are engaging in software piracy and illegal distribution of copyrighted materials.
When Mac user installs the dubious freeware, there will be no disclosure or definition about the incorporated app. Therefore, GoSearch9 can freely get onboard even without the authority of Mac user. In fact, this adware adapts the same privilege given to the freeware, so permission is not required during the setup process of this adware.
Another way that attackers are utilizing to deploy GoSearch9 is though malicious advertisements. On this scheme, the aggressive ads are pretending as system alert that prompts user to download software update. The pop-up ads are insisting the acquisition of the software update and assert that this is necessary to avoid additional issues from arising. When Mac user follows the instructions, they will end up installing GoSearch9 app instead of the expected software upgrade.
GoSearch9 Search Hijacker
After the complete installation of GoSearch9, Mac user may experience problems using the infected internet software particularly its search function. Instead of the usual search engine, GoSearch9 is going to designate new and unknown provider that is actually unreliable. Instead of receiving useful search result, GoSearch9 will provide useless outcome that are completely irrelevant from web user’s inquiry. Furthermore, presence of GoSearch9 app could cause excessive display of advertisements like pop-ups, redirects, and push notifications.
In general, GoSearch9 is a malicious browser extension that cyber crooks are using to control the browser and generate profit by exhibiting unusual advertisements. Thus, Mac security experts are suggesting for immediate removal of GoSearch9. Guide to get rid of this threat is provided on the next section together with effective virus and malware removal tools.
Procedures to Remove GoSearch9 from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like GoSearch9. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing GoSearch9.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete GoSearch9 from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find GoSearch9 or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag GoSearch9 to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to GoSearch9
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located GoSearch9, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed GoSearch9
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Go Search, Gosearchresults.com
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing GoSearch9 to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Go Search, Gosearchresults.com
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to GoSearch9 adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including GoSearch9.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, GoSearch9 is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove GoSearch9 from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove GoSearch9 from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing GoSearch9. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace GoSearch9 settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by GoSearch9. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select GoSearch9 or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with GoSearch9.