Adware is a type of computer threat that is invasive and can secretly commit changes on internet browser program like Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. Most adware are associated to a home page hijacker that purports to be an enhancement to ones online searching activities. One example of adware that exhibits the said trait is called Get Quick Directions. It serves as the browser extension that holds responsibility in assigning Getquickdirections.com address on homepage and new tab pages.
Get Quick Directions Adware
Adware like Get Quick Directions is often integrated onto internet software as browser extension or add-on. It is a small code that augment the functionalities of browser application. Get Quick Directions is promoted as a tool, which adds directions finder and map viewing functions on the internet program. Actually, installing this applet makes unsolicited modification on homepage design. It integrates toolbar containing links and icons to different online directions and web maps services so that online users may quickly access them right at the homepage.
An addition to modified homepage setup is the replacement of the default search engine. Instead of Google or web user’s preferred item, the browser will now have Getquickdirections.com as the search processor. This only confirms that every online search inquiry of web users is redirected to Getquickdirections.com, which is quite an unusual service provider. Online safety and security is also the concern especially now that distrusted Getquickdirections.com is processing some personal inquiries.
Infection and Removal
As mentioned Get Quick Directions is an invasive adware that easily changes common browser pages to Getquickdirections.com even without intervention of computer user. This might be the reason why some web users assesses Get Quick Directions as computer virus. Technically, the threat is an adware and unlike viruses, it does not spread on its own. Usual deployment scheme that attackers are utilizing to reach target user is through malicious software bundles. Every web user is a target of Get Quick Directions especially those that are fond of acquiring freeware from suspicious servers.
The moment Getquickdirections.com is present on the homepage, it only denotes adware infection and Get Quick Directions is obviously the main culprit. To restore the browser to its previous settings, it is vital to eliminate the browser extension first. After removing Get Quick Directions, scanning the computer with effective anti-virus and anti-malware tools are important to delete any harmful entities belonging to the adware.
Get Quick Directions Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Get Quick Directions.
Remove Get Quick Directions Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Get Quick Directions, Getquickdirections.com, or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Get Quick Directions Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Get Quick Directions or Getquickdirections.com, and remove it from the browser.
Remove Get Quick Directions Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Get Quick Directions from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Get Quick Directions is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Get Quick Directions,Getquickdirections.com, or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Get Quick Directions on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Get Quick Directions.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Get Quick Directions.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like Get Quick Directions.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Get Quick Directions.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Get Quick Directions and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Get Quick Directions
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If Get Quick Directions is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete Get Quick Directions
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete Get Quick Directions, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by Get Quick Directions and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. Get Quick Directions should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.