People behind FreeShippingTool described it as useful application that helps in finding online deals, coupons, discounts, and rebates. However, it is just a technique of its developers to introduce their malicious program and hope to deceive web users. It is just a marketing strategy to spread FreeShippingTool adware so online users will have interest to install the application on browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
Developers designed FreeShippingTool to hijack web browsers. Though it claims to be a legitimate program, it operates otherwise. It functions maliciously while installed on the computer. That is the main reason why it is was classed as potentially unwanted program (PUP). The real purpose of FreeShippingTool is to spy on the browser and modify its settings.
How FreeShippingTool works?
When FreeShippingTool installed on the computer, it will begin to track and record the browsing habits of online user. Such activities includes the inputs of web user on the browser, visited websites, viewed web pages, clicked ads, IP address, geo-location of computer user. Aside from this monitoring actions, FreeShippingTool also modifies security and default setting of infected browser program. Home page, new tab page, and search engine will change into an unknown search engine page.
Moreover, FreeShippingTool adware can locate valuable information about web users. Such data includes name, address, contact numbers, emails, passwords, and so on. These instances alone can really prove that it is not a beneficial application, but rather an invasive program that could possibly lead to privacy issues.
Intrusive ads and Redirects
FreeShippingTool can produce numerous ads and pop-ups causing redirection to dubious websites. When it is running on the computer, the browser will start to show ads and pop-ups consistently. FreeShippingTool incorporates such adverts to display continuously on the browser. It diminishes browsing experience of online users and web page visibility. Usually, ads overlays page contents limiting the view of the whole site. Oftentimes, pop-ups appears anywhere on computer screen. Clicking such could redirects internet browsers to suspicious sites including unofficial download sites, frauds and phishing sites, illicit streaming platforms, torrent sites, or adult-related websites. These are all inappropriate and unsuitable for online users.
Is FreeShippingTool a virus?
Remember that even if FreeShippingTool is intrusive, it is not considered as virus. It is an unwanted program that typically enters the computer without consent from web users. It usually included on software bundles or some intrusive ads installed it on the operating system. Always make sure to download apps on legitimate websites, the programs are sure to be useful and infection-free. When installing freeware, check carefully the apps before proceeding just to make sure that it does not pose any threat to computer’s safety. Also, do not just click on anything while using the internet. Intrusive ads can be displaying here and there, it might install an unwanted app like FreeShippingTool straight to the operating system. Web users might be surprised that a malicious program is causing misbehavior on the computer.
FreeShippingTool Removal Procedure for PC
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting FreeShippingTool hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete FreeShippingTool Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to FreeShippingTool.
Remove FreeShippingTool Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find FreeShippingTool or relevant entry like FreeShippingTool and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall FreeShippingTool Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to FreeShippingTool and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that FreeShippingTool is also gone from the homepage.
Remove FreeShippingTool Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of FreeShippingTool from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete FreeShippingTool from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If FreeShippingTool is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups originating from FreeShippingTool, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select FreeShippingTool or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove FreeShippingTool automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like FreeShippingTool that assigns FreeShippingTool as the homepage URL.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to FreeShippingTool.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats including FreeShippingTool and restart the computer to finalized the scan process.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the FreeShippingTool browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat and FreeShippingTool still exists on internet application, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of FreeShippingTool on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces FreeShippingTool pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by FreeShippingTool.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to FreeShippingTool. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with FreeShippingTool.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
In addition to the procedures above, resetting the affected browser program and clearing the cache are extra methods to completely eliminate FreeShippingTool. You can execute the guide on resetting internet browser below.
Procedures to Remove FreeShippingTool from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide for Mac users. It will help you remove the subject malicious browser extension from internet software. In the same manner, the procedure is helpful in stopping FreeShippingTool pop-ups and browser hijacking activities.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser extension like FreeShippingTool that is responsible for displaying FreeShippingTool homepage and pop-ups. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing FreeShippingTool.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat. The following guides are also vital in deleting FreeShippingTool from the browser configuration.
Step 1 : Delete FreeShippingTool from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find FreeShippingTool or any unwanted program.
4. Drag FreeShippingTool to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to FreeShippingTool
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the hijacker. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located FreeShippingTool or any relevant item like FreeShippingTool, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed FreeShippingTool
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. It is normally an unfamiliar file name such as the following:
- MindSpark, MyWay
On some occassions, the malware is represented by a domain name that is closely related to the subject. Like in this case, it can be FreeShippingTool.
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing FreeShippingTool to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad and open Activity Monitor (Under Utilities or Other Folder).
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to FreeShippingTool browser extension or FreeShippingTool homepage hijacker.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including the FreeShippingTool malware and FreeShippingTool browser hijacker and pop-up provider.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, FreeShippingTool is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Delete FreeShippingTool Login Items
Some browser hijacker may also install login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs FreeShippingTool during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs FreeShippingTool.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select FreeShippingTool, , or any suspicious entries from the list and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by FreeShippingTool. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select , FreeShippingTool or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with FreeShippingTool.
There's More... Reset Internet Browser Apps (PC and Mac)
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with FreeShippingTool. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from FreeShippingTool. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of FreeShippingTool.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed FreeShippingTool extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to FreeShippingTool. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. FreeShippingTool should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by FreeShippingTool and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Clear the Safari Internet Browser (Mac)
1. Open your Safari browser application.
2. In the Safari menu, click on Preferences from the drop-down list.
3. On Preferences window, please select the Privacy tab.
4. Click on Manage Website Data button.
5. Select unwanted entry like FreeShippingTool and click the Remove button. If you choose to Remove All, you may be logout from most visited websites and online services. Therefore, we advise to remove suspicious item one at a time to prevent changing behavior towards your favorite websites.
6. If it prompts, please confirm your actions.
7. Next, we will need to clear the Cache. Back at the Safari Preferences window, choose Advanced tab.
8. Navigate to the bottom and activate Show Develop menu in menu bar.
9. Go to Safari menu, choose on Develop from the drop down list and click on on Empty Caches.
10. Next thing to do is to restore the Homepage to your preference and remove the one from FreeShippingTool.
11. Back at the Safari Preferences window, click on General tab.
12. Under Homepage section, type your desired URL to be the default start-up page.
13. Lastly, make sure to have the right Search Engine.
14. Go back to Safari Preferences window and click on Search tab.
15. Select your desired Search tool under the Search engine section.
16. You may not restart Safari browser.
Post Last Modified On June 22, 2020