Recently, a number of Microsoft Windows users are so upset to receive pop-ups claiming to be official helpdesk personnel requesting for remote computer access through Fastsupport.com. This website is a valid technical support connection service, which is utilizing the GoToAssist cloud-based toolset.But recently, cyber criminals are taking advantage of Fastsupport.com to illegally gain remote access on target computer.
Information Technology helpdesk teams and customer support companies are legally known to utilize the remote access service to help and fix the problems on their client’s computer. In recent times, online fraudsters see this opportunity to swindle money from victims by utilizing a series of browser redirects and misleading alerts.
Initially, attackers will user malicious advertising campaign that redirects browser to predefined websites that poses as valid MS Windows alert. Most of fake warnings appear on Microsoft Edge, but other browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer are also exposed to this attack. On the same page, it states that several viruses were found and most immediate solution for this is to login to Fastsupport.com and allow their personnel to remotely access the computer. Another way to carry out the attack is through toll free numbers posted on the same misleading web page.
Once remote connection is established via Fastsupport.com, attacker may unload several changes on the computer. Homepage of browser will have Fastsupport.com as default setting that also serves a reminder to user that there is an ongoing technical issue. Immediately, bogus remote technician advises users that it may take a while to get rid of identified threats and encourages them to stay connected for an hour or two. The scammers act as if it is difficult to resolve the issues so that they can demand higher fees from their victims. They are implementing a “no-pay, no fix” policy therefore users are required to pay first for this service.
As security experts always suggest, stay away from this kind of online scammer. Immediately cease Fastsupport.com connection and run a thorough scan of anti-virus and anti-malware tool to ensure that there are no threats on the computer.
Fastsupport.com Removal Procedure
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like Fastsupport.com home page hijacker. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Fastsupport.com. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Fastsupport.com. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove Fastsupport.com Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Fastsupport.com from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Fastsupport.com on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Fastsupport.com
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Fastsupport.com. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Remove Fastsupport.com from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Advanced…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Clean Up section.
5. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset Settings to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Fastsupport.com. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Fastsupport.com. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Reset Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Fastsupport.com home page hijacker should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain it the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Fastsupport.com and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see view instructions here.