Counterflix is endorsed as a program that can give its user an access to most websites. It claims to bypass any restrictions by using own DNS servers. Counterflix may seem useful if not only for some negative things found during the diagnostic of this program. It was assessed that the software is involved in bundling scheme in which other software may come with it. By using the same technique, Counterflix or any associated program can be loaded into the computer without user’s full consent. Software associated with it are NextFlix, AnyFlix, and the infamous DNS Unlocker.
Once unwanted programs are installed on the computer, excessive advertisements will emerge. In this particular instance, you may see “Ads by Counterflix” or “Brought by Counterflix” as integral part of any website you are viewing. Although, these ads are separate entity and was able to display though the use of Counterflix DNS services. Content layering is seen as the main reason why advertisements show off on top of the visited website. This is coded on part of Counterflix services in which web site owners have no control on this behavior.
In addition, Counterflix observes how user browses the web. It logs vital information such as visited web sites, search inquiries, IP Address, and other relevant online data. This monitoring habit of Counterflix can be misuse for future online marketing scheme. No one can deny that data in the hands of unknown persons can be mishandled and may be use for fraudulent online transactions.
In order to get rid of Counterflix ads, you must stop using the said program. If in case you find this program useful, there is no other option but to bear with its advertising behavior.
Counterflix DNS Settings:
18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 are the DNS servers of Counterflix. Before proceeding with the removal guide, be sure that you have removed these IP addresses from the computer and router’s DNS Server Settings. Otherwise, you will continue to see ads by Counterflix because it controls how your browser retrieves web pages from the internet.
Online Security Scanner Report for counterflix.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Jan. 23, 2017|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Jan. 23, 2017|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: Jan. 23, 2017|
How to Remove Counterflix
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by computer users.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Counterflix
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Counterflix or Epikai entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Counterflix. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Counterflix Add-on/Extension and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Counterflix from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Counterflix on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove Counterflix
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Counterflix. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Counterflix. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. Click on the Menu (three-bar icon) located on the upper right side corner of the browser.
3. From the pull-down menu, click on Settings.
4. Once your are on chrome://settings/ tab, click on ‘Advanced‘ at the bottom of the window.
5. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on Reset settings to their original defaults button.
6. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Counterflix extension.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Counterflix.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Counterflix should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Counterflix and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Procedures to Remove Counterflix from Mac
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Counterflix
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the procedure depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Counterflix, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Counterflix
1. Navigate to the location given below and move the item to the Trash.
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Counterflix to be present on your Mac.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Counterflix.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Counterflix is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.