Cornalium is classified as potentially unwanted program (PUP) because it employs intrusive method to gain an access on computer. In most cases, user has no intention in acquiring or installing this program. However, because of bundling method applied by its publisher, Cornalium was able to spread onto computers under the cover of freeware or shareware.
Some examples of free programs that distribute Cornalium are free games, utilities, download manager, or bogus software update. The freeware may deliberately install by user, but in the case of Cornalium, it is concealed in the background during the setup process. User is totally uninformed about the mounting of this unwanted desktop widget plus other adware. For this reason, some people dubbed Cornalium as virus.
Technically, Cornalium is not listed under the column of computer virus or malware. It fits the description of Adware or PUP. Its main objective is to generate online profit by operating its own advertising scheme. So, do not be surprise when seeing excessive ads with labels Ads by Cornalium or Brought by Cornalium. This is normal if computer is under the influence of adware. Same thing will occur if system is under the attack of identical threats including Clickrise, Boogaclicks, and Irob.
Despite of all your efforts in stopping the ads, you will fail because it requires elimination of certain entities like extensions, add-ons, or plug-ins. There are also files running on the system that initiates Cornalium desktop widget each time you start Windows.
We highly suggest immediate removal of Cornalium. On this page, we have simple yet effective ways to get rid of adware and any unwanted program. Be sure to execute the proper flow of removal steps to make sure that no more malicious objects are left on the computer.
Online Security Scanner Report for cornalium.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: July 28, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: July 28, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: July 28, 2016|
How to Remove Cornalium
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Cornalium
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Cornalium or Linkury entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Cornalium. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Cornalium Add-on/Extension and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Cornalium from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Cornalium on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove Cornalium
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Cornalium. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Google Chrome to Remove Cornalium
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Cornalium. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Show advanced settings…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset Settings section.
5. Click on Reset Settings button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Cornalium. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also download Chrome Cleanup Tool from this page. A stand-alone reset tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Cornalium.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Cornalium should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Cornalium and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.