Converter Search Tool may appear as valid and legitimate search engine because it highlights clean looks just like common homepage design. Technically, Converter Search Tool is a browser hijacker that belongs to a large group of adware family, which continuously spreading the remakes of their questionable programs. Other brands from this group includes ConverterSearchHD, SearchConverters, and AllConvertersSearch.
Converter Search Tool Browser Extension
For the record, Converter Search Tool can only have control on internet program if it was installed as browser extension. Therefore, attackers behind this application are employing every possible method to infiltrate prominent browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari. Although there are countless of ways to intrude the computer, people behind Converter Search Tool have high success infection rate using the software bundling techniques. This is a scheme where Converter Search Tool is embedded to different freeware or shareware and then, they host it on servers where computer users frequently visits to download free applications. Moving forward, installing the malicious software bundles discreetly loads Converter Search Tool onto the computer and it instantly attacks the internet program.
Other means that installs Converter Search Tool as browser extension without due authorization from computer users is via fake software update. Web users can recognized this misleading technique because it usually exhibits when visiting sites who are engaging in streaming and video sites that illegally publicize copyrighted contents. Upon entering the site, ads will pop-up claiming to detect conflicts due to obsolete application and prompt to download the software update immediately. Unknown to web users, this is a malicious ad campaign purporting as system update in order to lure them to acquire the recommended software. Instead of the software update, this trick will install Converter Search Tool directly into the internet browser program.
As soon as the adware infiltrates the computer, user may witness unnecessary changes on the browser program. The most obvious is the homepage alterations where Convertersearchtool.com becomes the default URL. Similarly, Convertersearchtool.com will be the new search provider and because it is unreliable, web user should not expect accurate and useful search outcome.
Aside from hijacking the vital parts of the browser program, Converter Search Tool can display annoying pop-up advertisements and redirects. Unfortunately, accessing them will divert the browser program to an unusual webpage containing malicious objects that often leads to malware infection.
Converter Search Tool Removal Procedure for PC
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting Convertersearchtool.com hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete Converter Search Tool Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Converter Search Tool.
Remove Converter Search Tool Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Converter Search Tool or relevant entry like Convertersearchtool.com and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Converter Search Tool Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Converter Search Tool and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Convertersearchtool.com is also gone from the homepage.
Remove Converter Search Tool Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Converter Search Tool from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete Convertersearchtool.com from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Converter Search Tool is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups originating from Convertersearchtool.com, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select Converter Search Tool or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Converter Search Tool automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful malware and virus removal tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Converter Search Tool that assigns Convertersearchtool.com as the homepage URL.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Converter Search Tool.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Converter Search Tool and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The chances of stopping Convertersearchtool.com pop-ups or redirects is also possible after the threat removal. If it still remains, please follow the Convertersearchtool.com pop-up removal guide.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Converter Search Tool browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat and Convertersearchtool.com still exists on internet application, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Converter Search Tool on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces Convertersearchtool.com pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Converter Search Tool.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Converter Search Tool. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with Convertersearchtool.com.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
In addition to the procedures above, resetting the affected browser program and clearing the cache are extra methods to completely eliminate Converter Search Tool. You can execute the guide on resetting internet browser below.
Procedures to Remove Converter Search Tool from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide for Mac users. It will help you remove the subject malicious browser extension from internet software. In the same manner, the procedure is helpful in stopping Convertersearchtool.com pop-ups and browser hijacking activities.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser extension like Converter Search Tool that is responsible for displaying Convertersearchtool.com homepage and pop-ups. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Converter Search Tool.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat. The following guides are also vital in deleting Convertersearchtool.com from the browser configuration.
Step 1 : Delete Converter Search Tool from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Converter Search Tool or any unwanted program.
4. Drag Converter Search Tool to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Converter Search Tool
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the hijacker. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Converter Search Tool or any relevant item like Convertersearchtool.com, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Converter Search Tool
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. It is normally an unfamiliar file name such as the following:
- SearchTheConverter, OurConverterSearch
On some occassions, the malware is represented by a domain name that is closely related to the subject. Like in this case, it can be Convertersearchtool.com.
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Converter Search Tool to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad and open Activity Monitor (Under Utilities or Other Folder).
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Converter Search Tool browser extension or Convertersearchtool.com homepage hijacker.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including the Converter Search Tool malware and Convertersearchtool.com browser hijacker and pop-up provider.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Converter Search Tool is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Delete Converter Search Tool Login Items
Some browser hijacker may also install login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Converter Search Tool during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Converter Search Tool.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Converter Search Tool, , or any suspicious entries from the list and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by Converter Search Tool. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select , Converter Search Tool or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with Converter Search Tool.
There's More... Reset Internet Browser Apps (PC and Mac)
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Converter Search Tool. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Converter Search Tool. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Converter Search Tool.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Converter Search Tool extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Converter Search Tool. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Converter Search Tool should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Converter Search Tool and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Clear the Safari Internet Browser (Mac)
1. Open your Safari browser application.
2. In the Safari menu, click on Preferences from the drop-down list.
3. On Preferences window, please select the Privacy tab.
4. Click on Manage Website Data button.
5. Select unwanted entry like Converter Search Tool and click the Remove button. If you choose to Remove All, you may be logout from most visited websites and online services. Therefore, we advise to remove suspicious item one at a time to prevent changing behavior towards your favorite websites.
6. If it prompts, please confirm your actions.
7. Next, we will need to clear the Cache. Back at the Safari Preferences window, choose Advanced tab.
8. Navigate to the bottom and activate Show Develop menu in menu bar.
9. Go to Safari menu, choose on Develop from the drop down list and click on on Empty Caches.
10. Next thing to do is to restore the Homepage to your preference and remove the one from Converter Search Tool.
11. Back at the Safari Preferences window, click on General tab.
12. Under Homepage section, type your desired URL to be the default start-up page.
13. Lastly, make sure to have the right Search Engine.
14. Go back to Safari Preferences window and click on Search tab.
15. Select your desired Search tool under the Search engine section.
16. You may not restart Safari browser.
How to remove Convertersearchtool.com Pop-ups (Notification)
Most of the time, browser hijackers are combined with intrusive pop-up ads originating from the source website Convertersearchtool.com. It is taking advantage of push notification feature of popular internet programs like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge. These pop-up ads from Convertersearchtool.com are extra ordinary as it exceeds the normal display volume and they are certainly annoying.
Normally, Convertersearchtool.com pop-ups will start to bombard internet browser screen with pop-ups if web user was deceived to click “Allow” button that triggers the said website to send push notification. To stop Convertersearchtool.com from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below. Remember, these steps may only be successful after the removal of the main component or dubious browser extension.
1. On Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under "Allow" section and look for Convertersearchtool.com.
3. Click the ellipses (3 dots) beside Convertersearchtool.com list to reveal the options.
4. Click on Block or Remove to stop Convertersearchtool.com from displaying pop-up ads on Google Chrome browser.
6. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
1. On Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press Enter key:
2. Navigate below to Permission area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for Convertersearchtool.com entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox and check if Convertersearchtool.com pop-up is gone.
1. On top menu, click on Safari and then, select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On right panel, it will display a list of websites with "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on Convertersearchtool.com.
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart Safari browser and see if Convertersearchtool.com pop-up is gone.
1. Assuming that Edge browser is open, click on the ellipses (3 dots) on upper right corner to open the Settings. Alternatively, you can press Alt + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Under Website Permissions area, click on Manage Permissions button.
4. Find and select Convertersearchtool.com from the list. Click on X button to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
5. You may now restart Edge browser.
How to Avoid Converter Search Tool Adware?
After the removal of the threat, computer user should pay attention in protecting the system to avoid similar infection to occur in the future.
We have stated several infection cases and its possible use of different methods to infiltrate the computer. So, staying away from the usual sources as freeware downloads and fake software update are essential part of preventive actions. Aside from this, installing an effective anti-virus or anti-malware tools are recommended to fully guard the computer against Converter Search Tool infection.