Contactium is a little tab that can be found on right bottom part of the screen. It is presently in the category of potentially unwanted program (PUP). This means that you must avoid Contactium because it can cause harm on the computer.
On its official web site, Contactium is push as desktop search widget that can give user full access to various tools related to Music and Video, Social Sites, Search, Language Conversion, and Screen Snip. At first, it is acceptable as vital tool. However, its forceful replacement of search engine and other browser function did not impress some users. Contactium aggressively controls the browser giving users no room for options. Search results provided by this adware may also contain deceitful links that can point browser to malicious web pages. Additionally, pop-up with labels Ads by Contactium or Brought by Contactium will overflow on your browser screen.
When you are downloading third-party software or freeware, there is a chance that Contactium may gain an entry onto your computer. Worse if you downloaded free programs from questionable web sites. Aside from Contactium, other adware may sneak into the computer without your knowledge. Bundling technique is often use by cyber criminals to spread their products effectively. With this method, a number of programs, good or bad, are packed into one installation file. The host file, which is normally the most appealing of the group, will use several misleading techniques to induce computer users.
Installation of adware is normally concealed to computer users. In the case of Contactium, it is installed in the background when setting up third-party software. Computer user may only notice the presence when it begins to display horrible things as already mentioned.
Online Security Scanner Report for contactium.info:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: July 01, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: July 01, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: July 01, 2016|
How to Remove Contactium
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Contactium
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Contactium or Linkury entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Contactium. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Contactium Add-on/Extension and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Contactium from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Contactium on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove Contactium
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Contactium. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Contactium. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. Click on the Menu (three-bar icon) located on the upper right side corner of the browser.
3. From the pull-down menu, click on Settings.
4. Once your are on chrome://settings/ tab, click on ‘Show advanced settings…‘ at the bottom of the window.
5. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on Reset browser settings button.
6. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Contactium extension.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Contactium.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Contactium should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Contactium and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.