Because the internet is flooded with significant amount of adware and dubious browser extensions, Mac users are getting confuse whether the app being offered is legitimate or just part of potentially unwanted application (PUA) family. One thing to remember about PUA is they are aggressively promoted on different platforms like pop-up ads, redirects, and unknown websites. One example of browser extension that Mac user should avoid is called Consumer Opinion app.
What is Consumer Opinion App?
This unwanted program is normally promoted as valuable browser extension for Mac. It claims to increase the productivity on internet program by leveling up the browsing and online searching capability of Mac user. In addition, Consumer Opinion asserts that by installing the program, it provides quick access to different useful sites via quick links and custom menu.
In reality, Consumer Opinion is dubbed as PUA because its entry on Mac computer is often unknown to users. It is employing various deceitful tactics to gain access on random computer and wreak havoc once settled. One of the annoyances it can cause to browser program are excessive display of pop-up ads and persistent redirects. There will be an endless loop of browser redirects especially when Mac user is staging an online search that will eventually end up on a bad landing page containing harmful objects.
Adware is another classification of Consumer Opinion app, the fact that this browser tool is dealing out different types of intrusive ads, it cannot be denied that it is an ad-supported software. Unfortunately, ads from Consumer Opinion are too compelling and some of it pushes for the download and installation of other known adware for Mac as AccessibleGuideSearch, FractionData, AssistiveFile, and many more.
Sources of Consumer Opinion
Malicious software package is commonly the infection origin of most adware and Consumer Opinion is no exception. Mac users who are fond of acquiring freeware and third-party application from scandalous sources are in the frontline of the adware infection. Furthermore, pop-up advertisements purporting as software update that are insisting the immediate download of recommended up is the second most trusted by attackers to distribute Consumer Opinion adware. So, staying away from the mentioned sources of this unwanted program is vital to avoid the contamination.
If in case that Consumer Opinion app manages to penetrate the computer for whatever reason, Mac user must perform an immediate removal to prevent further harm. Comprehensive guide to remove this threat is the topic on the next segment.
Procedures to Remove Consumer Opinion from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like Consumer Opinion. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Consumer Opinion.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete Consumer Opinion from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Consumer Opinion or any unwanted program.
4. Drag Consumer Opinion to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Consumer Opinion
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Consumer Opinion, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Consumer Opinion
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- com.Consumer Opinion
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Adload, ConsumerOpinionDaemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Consumer Opinion to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Adload, ConsumerOpinionDaemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Consumer Opinion adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Consumer Opinion.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Consumer Opinion is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove Consumer Opinion from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove Consumer Opinion from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing Consumer Opinion. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace Consumer Opinion settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by Consumer Opinion. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select Consumer Opinion or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with Consumer Opinion.
Post Last Modified On September 25, 2020