Cleanup My Mac is a bogus system utility application that may appear on the computer after the installation of dubious freeware or malicious software update. There are also instances of user’s carelessness on deliberately installing fraudulent tool like Cleanup My Mac. Even though computer security analysts have warned people multiple times about the dangers of rogue software, users innocently grab this malware in quest of keeping their system in highly optimized performance.
Also classed as potentially unwanted program (PUP), these invasive programs have developed into moneymakers for their developers. New versions repeatedly succeeding the throne of older variants but with far more updated feature to be a thriving ‘scareware’ for Mac system. Cleanup My Mac retains the same graphical user interface that was jack up with recognizable brand name. Nevertheless, Cleanup My Mac functions the same as other models with tactics of convincing users that computer is dilapidated and requires extensive optimization. At this stage, prompt will surface from the same culprit advising users to proceed with the fix by paying for the registered version of Cleanup My Mac.
Below is another variant with slightly modified title. It is called Cleanup-My Mac
It is apparent at this point that Cleanup My Mac is an absolute match up of previous rogue program releases like Mac Auto Fixer, Smart Mac Care, Mac Tonic, and many more. They are marketed as valuable utility product with striking features like Disk Cleanup, File Manager, App Manager, and 24-hour product support. Believing this scheme may not only cost user some money, but having it on Mac system will surely cause further security risks. Thus, we suggest immediate removal of Cleanup My Mac before it can set off more troubles. Guide to get rid of this threat is provided on this page. Make sure to execute the procedures in exact order to successfully eliminate Cleanup My Mac.
Procedures to Remove Cleanup My Mac
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Cleanup My Mac. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Cleanup My Mac.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects Cleanup My Mac rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Quit Cleanup My Mac Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Cleanup My Mac window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Cleanup My Mac. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Cleanup My Mac. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Cleanup My Mac Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Cleanup My Mac during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Cleanup My Mac.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Cleanup My Mac from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if Cleanup My Mac Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 4: Delete Cleanup My Mac Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find Cleanup My Mac or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the Cleanup My Mac to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 5 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Cleanup My Mac
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- Cleanup-My Mac.agent
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Cleanup My Mac to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 6 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Cleanup My Mac.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Cleanup My Mac is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.