Browser.mongosearch.net is a part of a suspicious browser extension called Mongo Search. It can install itself on the computer without the permission from computer user. Browser.mongosearch.net will hijack the browser and alters various settings once installed successfully. Home page, new tab page, and search engine will automatically changed into Browser.mongosearch.net.
This browser hijacker will start to supply the internet program with excessive pop-up advertisements after it accomplishes unsolicited modification. Such ads might promote bogus software updates and downloads, or any possible online frauds. Persistent display of pop-up ads and redirects will affect the web user’s browsing experience very badly. In addition, Browser.mongosearch.net can cause browser redirection that forces online users to view associated harmful websites.
The said homepage redirect adware is able to prevent computer users from reversing the unnecessary changes made to internet application. Browser.mongosearch.net has modified the browser’s security configuration to block users from making any changes. As a result, the home page and new tab pages always resets to Browser.mongosearch.net settings no matter how computer users modified it to restore previous settings.
Browser hijackers like Browser.mongosearch.net normally spreads though computers via software bundling scheme. Adware makers commonly incorporate their unwanted program on freeware, shareware, or malicious third party apps. Such software either offers Browser.mongosearch.net as an optional install or requires it to be loaded as an additional program.
The worst part of running Browser.mongosearch.net on the computers is its monitoring capabilities. Personal inputs from online users in the browser are at risks. This potentially unwanted program (PUP) can record personal details including username, passwords, contact numbers, online transactions, and even bank details and other sensitive browser information. Browser.mongosearch.net developers can sell such private data to cyber-criminals for revenue generation purposes. It can lead to serious privacy issues in the future. Removing Browser.mongosearch.net from the computer can prevent such issues and privacy theft.
Browser.mongosearch.net Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Browser.mongosearch.net.
Remove Browser.mongosearch.net Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Browser.mongosearch.net or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Browser.mongosearch.net Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Browser.mongosearch.net and remove it from the browser.
Remove Browser.mongosearch.net Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Browser.mongosearch.net from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Browser.mongosearch.net is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Browser.mongosearch.net or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Browser.mongosearch.net on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Browser.mongosearch.net.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Browser.mongosearch.net.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like Browser.mongosearch.net.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Browser.mongosearch.net.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Browser.mongosearch.net and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Browser.mongosearch.net
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If Browser.mongosearch.net is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete Browser.mongosearch.net
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete Browser.mongosearch.net, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by Browser.mongosearch.net and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. Browser.mongosearch.net should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.