Boost My Mac is a rogue security and optimization tool that can infiltrate Apple Mac OS by integrating itself to software bundles that pose as worthy freeware. To attract web users, these types of programs typically masquerade as Adobe update, utilities, download manager, or media player. Makers of this rogue tool also utilize malicious advertising method, which shows pop-ups and redirects that acts as online scanner. During the unsolicited online scan, it fabricates bunch of system inconsistencies and prompts user to download Boost My Mac to resolve the issues.
After full installation of the program, it instantly scans the computer for possible system troubles. As what goes with most fake security and optimization tool, Boost My Mac will identify thousands of troubles ranging from malware presence, rogue apps, duplicate files, and so on. Aside from the thorough system diagnostics, Boost My Mac will bother users with repetitive pop-up alerts and warnings showing the same issues and recommends fixing the system by unlocking its full functionality through the acquisition of paid version.
It is not recommended to spend for the registered version of Boost My Mac. Obviously this is just a re-banded version of MacRapidizer, Smart Mac Cleaner, and many more bogus product from PCVARK family of malware. Our firm advice is to remove Boost My Mac as soon as possible to prevent this rogue tool from increasing the damage on affected system. Execute the guide below and scan the system with suggested efficient anti-malware and anti-virus tools.
Procedures to Remove Boost My Mac
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac system.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Step 1 : Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like Boost My Mac. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Boost My Mac.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 2 : Quit Boost My Mac Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close Boost My Mac window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for Boost My Mac. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to Boost My Mac. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Boost My Mac Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs Boost My Mac during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs Boost My Mac.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select Boost My Mac from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed Boost My Mac
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing Boost My Mac to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Boost My Mac.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Boost My Mac is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.