Bmps.xyz or QIP is considerably a potentially unwanted program (PUP) targeting web browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. The sole purpose of Bmps.xyz is to replace the existing browser settings on the computer. The modification takes place as soon as Bmps.xyz is installed on internet browser program. This browser hijacker can assign own URL Bmps.xyz.ph replacing the current home page, new tab page, and default search engine. Whenever online user opens the browser, it automatically redirect into the new web page. Moreover, Bmps.xyz possess data tracking ability, which spies the browsing activities of web users. Bmps.xyz can record the user’s IP address, geographical location, visited URL, search queries, and other browser-related details. This invasive manner of Bmps.xyz on the computer can pose risks to the privacy of online users.
The modifications of Bmps.xyz on the browser may seem like a minor effect. However, it could extremely diminish the online user’s browsing experience. The hijacked browsers are unable to generate precise search results. The browser will present irrelevant and inaccurate results from dubious or questionable sources or web pages. Apart from that, intrusive ads and pop-ups will spam the browser. The developers of Bmps.xyz can produce income by displaying the ads aiming to deceive web users. In addition, the pop-ups can force online users to navigate unfamiliar websites that they do not intend to visit in the first place.
Developers typically markets Bmps.xyz through software bundles. They include Bmps.xyz on some ordinary freeware for installation. Browser hijacker like Bmps.xyz can pass through computers even without the consent from online users. This may happen because of some installers that do not reveal that there is an extra program included on the current installation. Alternatively, there are instances that the installer will provide the descriptions of Bmps.xyz but will not publicize its real functions. Eventually, some computer users tend to install Bmps.xyz because of its deceptive marketing strategy. Once QIP or Bmps.xyz successfully infiltrates the computer, many infections may possibly arise that could lead to severe issues. To protect computer and user safety, the best option is to remove malicious programs or extensions upon detection.
Bmps.xyz Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Bmps.xyz.
Remove Bmps.xyz Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Bmps.xyz, QIP, or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall Bmps.xyz Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Bmps.xyz or QIP and remove it from the browser.
Remove Bmps.xyz Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Bmps.xyz from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Bmps.xyz is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select Bmps.xyz, QIP, or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Bmps.xyz on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Bmps.xyz.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Bmps.xyz.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like Bmps.xyz.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Bmps.xyz.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Bmps.xyz and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Bmps.xyz
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If Bmps.xyz is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete Bmps.xyz
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete Bmps.xyz, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by Bmps.xyz and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. Bmps.xyz should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.
Reset Safari Browser to Normal Settings
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Click on the Safari Settings icon located on upper right corner of the browser window.
3. Select Reset Safari from the drop-down list.
4. Pop-up window will appear. You may select all boxes for total reset or follow the options below if you only want to remove Bmps.xyz from Safari browser.
5. Please restart Safari browser for changes to take effect.
Post Last Modified On April 4, 2020