BestMediaConverter is classified as a browser hijacker because it takes control of the web application and does things that are unwelcome to computer users. BestMediaConverter modifies the current search engine as well as home page and new tab page. This adware will designate its own web URL Bestmediaconverter.com as the default setting of infected internet software. Due to its invasive behavior, BestMediaConverter is also considered as a potentially unwanted program (PUP).
Effects of BestMediaConverter
Once installed, BestMediaConverter will directly target the computer’s browser program like Google Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer. These alterations will have negative effects on the browser’s performance that may result to the following issues:
- Slow loading of web pages.
- Unnecessary multiple toolbars on the browser.
- Display of intrusive advertising.
- Browser redirect leading to dubious websites.
However, the effects that BestMediaConverter can bring are not only limited to these issues. The computer can be susceptible to any malware attacks because clicking some ads generated by BestMediaConverter can automatically downloads and installs malicious software. Therefore, the browser is not only at risk, but computer safety as well.
The risk to Privacy and Security
Since BestMediaConverter is an unwanted program, it has a data-tracking ability. Once it enters the computer, BestMediaConverter can trace the browsing patterns of the web user. All the browser-related activities of the web user can be exposed. Likewise, even personal information about the web user is at risk. BestMediaConverter can possibly track web user’s bank account and credit card details, or any other valuable data stored on the browser. The worst part is, BestMediaConverter developers can sell such important data to cyber-criminals that may misuses it for online fraud.
Installation of BestMediaConverter
Potentially unwanted programs like BestMediaConverter can infiltrate computers without the online user’s permission. Most of the time, BestMediaConverter is bundled together with free software. Certain freeware incorporates BestMediaConverter as part of the installation process; it comes either as an extra program or as an optional install. Therefore, web user should be very careful about choosing programs and do not forget to use advanced or custom installation options to filter unwanted software.
BestMediaConverter Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Stage 1: Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to BestMediaConverter.
Remove BestMediaConverter Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find BestMediaConverter or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall BestMediaConverter Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to BestMediaConverter and remove it from the browser.
Remove BestMediaConverter Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of BestMediaConverter from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If BestMediaConverter is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select BestMediaConverter or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of BestMediaConverter on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by BestMediaConverter.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to BestMediaConverter.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Stage 3: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, adware as well as unwanted homepage like BestMediaConverter.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like BestMediaConverter.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to BestMediaConverter and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Stage 4: Remove Bestmediaconverter.com Pop-up Notification
These procedures in stopping Bestmediaconverter.com pop-up notification may only be effective if relevant extension do not exist on the browser. If ever there is a relevant extension currently installed, this push notification configuration will reinstate during browser start-up. So, make sure that you have removed any malicious extension from the browser before executing the following steps.
For Google Chrome Users
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following strings in the address box and press Enter on your keyboard: chrome://settings/content/notifications
3. Navigate to “Allow” section and find Bestmediaconverter.com from the list.
4. Click on More Actions and select Block from the options.
5. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
For Mozilla Firefox Users
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser program.
2. Type the following strings on address bar and press Enter on keyboard: about:preferences#privacy
3. Under Permissions section, click on Settings button beside Notifications.
4. Look for Bestmediaconverter.com and set the status to Block.
5. Lastly, click Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from BestMediaConverter
Not all adware and PUP’s are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instances, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If BestMediaConverter is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete BestMediaConverter
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete BestMediaConverter, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by BestMediaConverter and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. BestMediaConverter should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.
Reset Safari Browser to Normal Settings
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Click on the Safari Settings icon located on upper right corner of the browser window.
3. Select Reset Safari from the drop-down list.
4. Pop-up window will appear. You may select all boxes for total reset or follow the options below if you only want to remove BestMediaConverter from Safari browser.
5. Please restart Safari browser for changes to take effect.
Post Last Modified On April 14, 2020