AweCleaner for Mac is deemed as potentially unwanted application (PUA). It can enter the computer without the full consent of the user by employing different misleading tactics such as embedding itself to freeware or shareware. As of this writing, several security applications identified AweCleaner as malicious and in fact, it is detected by anti-virus software as Unwanted Program, Win32/Lodi, PUA, and OSX.Malcol.
On the official website of AweCleaner, the description boast about the countless features that Mac user may explore through this tool. It has Power Uninstaller, Duplicate Finder, Large File Finder, Disk Manager, Memory Optimizer, Startup Manager, Internet Cleanup, File Shredder, and so on. Actually, there are many programs in the same field that are marketed as a valuable Mac application but in reality, they have no value. We can easily compare AweCleaner to software like PowerSuite, MacCleanBooster, MacMaster, and many more. These apps brag about the importance of being installed on Mac, but the truth is, it is not needed or serve very little purpose. Majority of these so called Mac optimizer can actually do more harm than good. For this reason, Mac security experts warns to be aware of the bogus apps because according to them, these software were made simply to swindle money from innocent victims.
As stated, AweCleaner gains ground on Mac computer if user downloads a malicious file installer from a distrusted source. It normally comes in bundle and AweCleaner is often embedded into attractive applications such as free utilities, media player, games, internet speed booster, creativity apps, and so on. The moment that Mac user initializes the setup, the package installer is going to install the host program as well as surplus application like AweCleaner. Hence, the latter is run in a discreet manner. Mac user may learn about the unwanted installation is when AweCleaner begins to scan the computer on its own. Subsequently, it produces some misleading results and request users to purchase the registered version in order to fix the issues.
Procedures to Remove AweCleaner
This section contains complete instructions to assist you in removing potentially unwanted program from Mac computer.
Procedures published on this page are written in method that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware and malware. Moreover, it can get rid of unwanted program like AweCleaner. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing AweCleaner.
6. As shown in the image below, Combo Cleaner accurately detects AweCleaner rogue program. Proceed with the removal of the virus by upgrading Combo Cleaner to full version.
Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Quit AweCleaner Process
Before proceeding with the steps below, please close AweCleaner window if in case it is open.
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Choose All Processes from the upper right corner of the window.
3. Under Process Name column, look for AweCleaner. Click the name to select the malicious process.
4. Next, click the Quit Process button located in the upper left corner of the window.
5. When prompted, click on Force Quit.
6. You may now delete or remove files that belongs to AweCleaner. Proceed to the next steps.
Step 2 : Delete AweCleaner Login Items
Some malware also installs login item into compromised account under System Preferences. This object automatically runs AweCleaner during user log in.
1. Go to Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
2. Select Users & Groups from the preferences window.
3. You may need to Unlock this area in order to make changes. Click on the Lock icon on lower left corner of the window.
4. Next, select user account that runs AweCleaner.
5. Click on Login Items tab.
6. Select AweCleaner from listed entries and click on the minus [-] button and confirm your actions. Please see image below for reference.
As stated, the creation of Login Items or profile is case-to-case basis. Some unwanted application may add their entry on this section but others are not concern on making one. So, if AweCleaner Login item is not present, please continue with the succeeding steps.
Step 3 : Delete AweCleaner Application
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find AweCleaner or any unwanted program.
4. Drag the AweCleaner to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 4 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed AweCleaner
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing AweCleaner to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for suspicious objects or folders with the following names and drag them to the Trash.
10. Repeat procedures 8 and 9 on the following folders if necessary.
11. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with names similar above and drag them to Trash.
12. Lastly, please Empty your Mac's Trash bin.
Step 5 : Run another Scan using MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including AweCleaner.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, AweCleaner is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
6. You may now restart the computer.