AMZ Search is classified as browser hijacker because it can override settings on internet browser application like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Edge. This browser threat can accomplish such illicit changes against the will of computer user. AMZ Search targets the browser program and aims to replace user’s preferences on homepage, new tab pages, and search engine. After AMZ Search infects a computer, the mentioned browser areas will have Searchamz.info as the new default setup. This only means that all search queries of web user needs to pass-through the Searchamz.info server.
AMZ Search Infiltration Technique
Software bundling technique is probably the most effective way in propagating AMZ Search browser hijacker. Most carriers of AMZ Search are freeware and shareware hosted on different servers like file-sharing networks, download sites, or torrent sites. Most of these adware movers are in disguise of free applications like tools, creativity suite, games, download helper, internet speed booster, or software update (fake). Generally, computer users are unaware that installation of the supposed free software will make way for AMZ Search to penetrate the computer without their approval. That being said, installation of additional applications can be prevented by opting for the Custom/Advanced method during the setup process. This is the only way to see if there are other software inclusions aside from the main application.
AMZ Search Hijacking
Assuming that web user runs the setup in Default mode, AMZ Search gets installed on the browser together with the host application. As mentioned earlier, AMZ Search will represent the homepage and other vital parts of internet program. The unwanted program is the new processor of user’s online search and therefore, do not expect to have decent search results while AMZ Search is controlling the browser.
Aside from unreliable search outcome, AMZ Search can be the ground for privacy theft as it can collect various data about web users and their online activities. It can log information such as favourite websites, browsing history, search keywords, IP address, and many more.
To sum up, it is clear that AMZ Search is a browser hijacker that invades online privacy of web user. Therefore, we suggest immediate removal of this unknown search tool. Guide to get rid of AMZ Search from infected computer is presented on the next section.
AMZ Search Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer. The guide includes procedures to remove the unwanted URL Searchamz.info that may have taken over the homepage.
In order to totally eliminate the adware AMZ Search and its relevant malicious domain Searchamz.info, it is vital to follow the remove process in exact manner.
Instant Removal : Scan the computer with Anti-malware Program
To remove AMZ Search automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-malware tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering internet browser threat like AMZ Search that slows down online browsing activities. Right after the threat removal, the unwanted web address Searchamz.info from homepage is expected to be eliminated too.
1. Download the free anti-malware scanner called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
2. After downloading, install the program. It may run automatically or you have to double-click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe.
3. Proceed with the installation using only the default setup. If you need the complete setup procedure, it is available on the download page.
4. After the installation process, click Get Started to run the program.
5. Continue with the prompts until the main program opens.
6. On Malwarebytes Anti-malware console, click on Scan to run the most comprehensive detection method and find any hidden items linked to AMZ Search as well as Searchamz.info pop-ups and hijacker.
7. Wait for the anti-malware to finish scanning the computer.
8. When scanning is done, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will display the list of identified threats. Remove all identified threats because one of those might be the responsible for showing of AMZ Search. Please restart the computer when necessary.
The chances of stopping Searchamz.info pop-ups or redirects is also possible after the threat removal. If it still remains, please follow the Searchamz.info pop-up removal guide.
The computer should now be free from AMZ Search. If you feel that the above solution is not sufficient in getting rid of the browser hijacker, please proceed with the succeeding steps.
Step 1 : Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using an add-on called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. This is the reason why Searchamz.info is set on homepage and search tool. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to AMZ Search.
Remove AMZ Search Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find AMZ Search or relevant entry like Searchamz.info and remove it from Google Chrome.
Uninstall AMZ Search Extension from Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to AMZ Search or Searchamz.info and remove it from the browser.
Remove AMZ Search Add-ons from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of AMZ Search from Toolbars and Extension and remove Searchamz.info Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If AMZ Search is still present on the IE browser and homepage is still under the control of Searchamz.info, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on ‘Installed On‘ column.
7. Select AMZ Search or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of AMZ Search on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications that also causes Searchamz.info pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by AMZ Search and Searchamz.info.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions (AMZ Search), plug-ins, adware, and pop-up makers like Searchamz.info.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Step 3 : Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
Lastly, we will scan the computer with a multi-function security program. This will inspect the computer for AMZ Search and any possible presence of virus, malware, rootkit, as well as unwanted homepage like Searchamz.info.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like AMZ Search. The tool is also helpful in eliminating the source of Searchamz.info pop-ups and redirects.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to AMZ Search and other suspicious entities that redirects the homepage to Searchamz.info. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
Option : Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from AMZ Search
Not all adware and PUP's are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instance, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If AMZ Search is still bothering you after completing all the steps above and Searchamz.info pop-ups and homepage remains, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete AMZ Search
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete AMZ Search, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by AMZ Search adware and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating "Give Firefox a Tune Up". Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. AMZ Search should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox. Homepage should now reveal the legitimate URL and not Searchamz.info.
How to remove Searchamz.info Pop-ups (Notification)
Most of the time, browser hijackers are combined with intrusive pop-up ads originating from the source website Searchamz.info. It is taking advantage of push notification feature of popular internet programs like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Edge. These pop-up ads from Searchamz.info are extra ordinary as it exceeds the normal display volume and they are certainly annoying.
Normally, Searchamz.info pop-ups will start to bombard internet browser screen with pop-ups if web user was deceived to click “Allow” button that triggers the said website to send push notification. To stop Searchamz.info from showing the pop-ups, please execute the procedures below. Remember, these steps may only be successful after the removal of the main component or dubious browser extension.
1. On Google Chrome browser, input the following in the address bar and press Enter:
2. Navigate to the list under "Allow" section and look for Searchamz.info.
3. Click the ellipses (3 dots) beside Searchamz.info list to reveal the options.
4. Click on Block or Remove to stop Searchamz.info from displaying pop-up ads on Google Chrome browser.
6. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
1. On Mozilla Firefox browser, type the following in the address bar and press Enter key:
2. Navigate below to Permission area and look for Notifications.
3. Click the Settings button aligned with the Notifications.
4. Look for Searchamz.info entry and change the Status to Block.
5. Click on Save Changes and restart Mozilla Firefox and check if Searchamz.info pop-up is gone.
1. On top menu, click on Safari and then, select Preferences from the drop-down list.
2. Click on Websites tab to open its settings.
3. Select Notifications from the left sidebar.
4. On right panel, it will display a list of websites with "Allow" attribute.
5. Find and click on Searchamz.info.
6. You may choose to Deny or Remove it from the notification list.
7. You may now restart Safari browser and see if Searchamz.info pop-up is gone.
1. Assuming that Edge browser is open, click on the ellipses (3 dots) on upper right corner to open the Settings. Alternatively, you can press Alt + X on the keyboard.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down list.
3. Click on Advanced.
4. Under Website Permissions area, click on Manage Permissions button.
4. Find and select Searchamz.info from the list. Click on X button to stop it from showing pop-up ads or notifications.
5. You may now restart Edge browser.