GuideUnit is an ad-supported malware, often known as adware, that targets Safari, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox on Mac OS in particular. This threat has an intrusive method to infiltrate the computer and launch aggressive attacks. Similar to prior variations like PhasePure and PrimerAurora, GuideUnit will undoubtedly divert Mac users’ web browsing and searching activities. Although this program asserts that it specializes in improving Mac users’ browsing, users that install GuideUnit have not noticed this improvement. In fact, it interferes with their internet activities.
Signs of GuideUnit Infection
Once GuideUnit is running on the browser application, Mac users may observe a number of odd behaviors, including the following:
- The browser program will display an excessive number of pop-up windows.
- Internet pages repeatedly redirect to new websites.
- A new design and URL will be used for the homepage.
- There will be a brief apparent redirection when conducting an internet search.
- Unknown toolbars may unexpectedly appear on the browser.
- Reduced web browsing performance as a result of GuideUnit’s duplicated process.
The aforementioned symptoms are not just irritating. Redirects can send browser pages to a variety of shady websites, which may encourage users to download malicious software or phony apps.
How does it infect a Mac computer?
To reach the intended victims, several dissemination strategies are used. So, the method that is most frequently used is to incorporate GuideUnit into various program installers, such as shareware or freeware. When a Mac user uses these types of carriers, GuideUnit is simultaneously installed, and as soon as that process is complete, the adware targets the browser and takes control of how it functions.
Several Mac users assert that installing a software update causes GuideUnit to suddenly appear. It’s possible that they were duped into downloading a fake software update as shown in the image below. In actuality, the recent malware distribution trend is this pop-up software update. They appear to be system alerts but are actually pop-up advertisements. The web user is informed that an outdated program has been found and that downloading the update is essential. It goes without saying that installing such a fake app will enable GuideUnit to hide on a Mac computer.
Protect Mac against GuideUnit
Using a security program that protects internet transmission is recommended because the bulk of adware and malware sources are online. Security software that provides this level of protection is helpful in preventing the download of potentially harmful software and is also successful in discouraging visits to dubious websites. Being attentive while online is another efficient method of preventing online risks, in addition to having a good anti-virus or anti-malware application. Never go to a dubious website, and stay away from anything that pushy pop-ups try to sell you. These are the most typical sources of online malware infections. Also, never open email attachments, especially those that are unexpected or come from unreliable sources.
Procedures to Remove GuideUnit from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like GuideUnit. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing GuideUnit.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete GuideUnit from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find GuideUnit or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag GuideUnit to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to GuideUnit
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located GuideUnit, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed GuideUnit
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing GuideUnit to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to GuideUnit adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including GuideUnit.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, GuideUnit is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove GuideUnit from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove GuideUnit from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing GuideUnit. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace GuideUnit settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by GuideUnit. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select GuideUnit or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with GuideUnit.