GuardWeb Safe Search, also known as Guardweb.net/search, is yet another browser hijacker to add to the lengthy list. After installing a dubious freeware application that was downloaded from a website with a low trust rating, computer users typically see this on their web browser program. If they download free software from websites that are primarily set up to distribute pirated software and media, such as torrent sites and darknet file-sharing networks, all web users run the risk of obtaining GuardWeb Safe Search.
Threats like GuardWeb Safe Search are frequently incorporated into enticing shareware like games, creativity apps, internet boosters, download managers, and more. GuardWeb Safe Search or any other integrated apps also install when a web user installs such questionable software, and this happens even without the user’s involvement. Everything in the package was intended to be installed without respect for the authorization of the user.
Along with software bundling fraud, GuardWeb Safe Search’s creators also use web advertising as a method for spreading their product. When presenting GuardWeb Safe Search as a useful browser extension that delivers rapid and precise search results, especially when seeking for videos or movies online, misleading techniques are once again used.
The dangers of having the adware GuardWeb Safe Search
As previously indicated, GuardWeb Safe Search is a member of the adware or potentially unwanted application (PUA) family. The major reason for developing this browser extension was to take control of the browser and dominate its functionality. GuardWeb Safe Search can keep track of a user’s online surfing patterns and keep track of various details like search terms, favorite websites, visited pages, and more. GuardWeb Safe Search will then be able to provide targeted adverts on the browser after processing the collected data to create an analytics on user online preferences.
Malicious marketing objects may occasionally appear on the browser because GuardWeb Safe Search’s ads are not delivered by an honest ad network. Additionally, it has the ability to run browser redirects that send browser pages to websites hosting malware or adware.
The need to uninstall GuardWeb Safe Search
Online risk is obviously elevated while GuardWeb Safe Search is active. The only way to regain browser safety and security is to remove this strange browser plugin. After the GuardWeb Safe Search adware has been completely removed, computer users also receive the best level of online privacy.
GuardWeb Safe Search Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of browser hijacker like GuardWeb Safe Search through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like GuardWeb Safe Search, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete GuardWeb Safe Search hijacker including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows includes Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Step 1 : Delete GuardWeb Safe Search Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to GuardWeb Safe Search.
Remove GuardWeb Safe Search Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find GuardWeb Safe Search or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall GuardWeb Safe Search Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to GuardWeb Safe Search and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that GuardWeb Safe Search is also gone from the homepage.
Remove GuardWeb Safe Search Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of GuardWeb Safe Search from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete unwanted entry from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If GuardWeb Safe Search is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select GuardWeb Safe Search or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove GuardWeb Safe Search automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like GuardWeb Safe Search that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like GuardWeb Safe Search.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to GuardWeb Safe Search and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the GuardWeb Safe Search browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of GuardWeb Safe Search on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by GuardWeb Safe Search.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to GuardWeb Safe Search. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by GuardWeb Safe Search. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with GuardWeb Safe Search. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from GuardWeb Safe Search. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of GuardWeb Safe Search.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed GuardWeb Safe Search extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to GuardWeb Safe Search. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. GuardWeb Safe Search should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by GuardWeb Safe Search and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.