SquirrelWeb is another troublesome browser extension, which was classed as a potentially unwanted program (PUP). It normally aims on infecting major internet browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari carrying the motto “Traverse the internet with SquirrelWeb”. Mainly, SquirrelWeb intends to earn profit by exhibiting excessive pop-up ads and occasionally redirects your browser to commercial web pages and online endorsement. Some computer users have accidentally obtained this adware without their intent, especially if it comes bundled with freeware or shareware. Unfortunately, they do not have effective ways to remove SquirrelWeb from Windows OS.
This adware and its intrusive advertising campaign, which often pop-ups on the browser are not only distracting, it also diminishes the overall performance of the computer. This unwanted browser extension fetches its advertisements from an underground network with slow performing servers, so it also greatly affects the internet speed of victims. Moreover, the privacy and security is likewise threatened by SquirrelWeb adware. This unwanted browser extension can gather personal data from your computer that relates to your online accounts.
Securing the computer against this malicious browser extension and other types of adware requires consciousness about its type of attack. In this case, you can prevent the infection and securely browse the web without getting bothered by SquirrelWeb. As observed, this adware is normally tied up with dubious freeware or shareware that you can download from different websites and online sources. In general, these sites and the program they are serving appears worthy in order to attract web users. The free app can be software update, utilities, media player, or free games. Pay-per-install is what adware manufacturers commonly used to spread their malicious products. Users are not aware of this technique, in which they may install a collection of unwanted program that is packaged in one shareware. Thus, in order to avoid SquirrelWeb, the user needs to be aware about what they download and install.
SquirrelWeb is part of an adware family called SuperWeb. Other similar threats from this group are Monarimo, TowerTilt, Sale Planet, Mobeema, Great Hub, SunnyDay, Alleybrowse, Enter Voyage, Web Layers, Astro Find, Netgranule, Greener Web, CocoChaos, ZoomCheck, TessView, Brass Search, Oasis Space, Travel Output, ScanTack, Search Vortex, BringStar, RambleRoam, Zebar, Yula, SnapSearch, SugarSearch, Super Great, Twinkle Star, Happy Cloud, Glomatron, and QWebber.
SquirrelWeb Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the Adware from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting pop-ups and redirects.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Step 1 : Delete SquirrelWeb Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to SquirrelWeb.
Remove SquirrelWeb from Windows (Internet Explorer or Edge Browser)
1. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
2. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
3. Select SquirrelWeb or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
If SquirrelWeb is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from the browser settings.
4. Open Internet Explorer program.
5. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
6. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of SquirrelWeb from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete the same object from Search Providers section.
7. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
Remove SquirrelWeb Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find SquirrelWeb or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall SquirrelWeb Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to SquirrelWeb and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that pop-ups and other troubles are gone from the browser.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove SquirrelWeb automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful virus and malware removal tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering adware like SquirrelWeb.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove adware like SquirrelWeb.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to SquirrelWeb and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the SquirrelWeb adware. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to the succeeding procedures below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of SquirrelWeb on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces annoying pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by SquirrelWeb.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to SquirrelWeb. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by SquirrelWeb. If the adware still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with SquirrelWeb. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from SquirrelWeb. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of SquirrelWeb.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed SquirrelWeb extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to SquirrelWeb. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. SquirrelWeb should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by SquirrelWeb and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.