If you receive an email or pop-up alert pertaining to topic as “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon,” just disregard the message because this is not an official warning from Microsoft. The message is part of phishing operation that cyber crooks have launched to drive web users into their trap. Several things may happen when web user accessed this alert.
It can lead to privacy theft
The alert “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” normally contains clickable button. Pressing on it may open up a browser window that points to a questionnaire page requesting web users to fill up blank fields for full name, email address, alternate email address, phone number, address, user name, and password. Bear in mind that this is a phishing web page, which will record whatever data is submitted by on the provided form. Eventually, this will lead to identity theft especially when cyber crooks starts to use the stolen data to other online fraudulent activities.
Recurring credit card charges
On other instances, “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” intends to influence web users into subscribing to services that charge for the recurring billings. Bear in mind that MSN, Outlook, or Hotmail accounts are free to use and if there are additional services that needs payment, settle only from the official website to avoid being a victim of scammers.
What you should do after receiving the alert?
The alert usually arrives on the inbox or it is going to pop-up on the browser if ever an adware has contaminated the computer. The full message on this fake alert reads:
FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon
(Final Verification Alert) MSN Service
This message is being sent to you to inform you that your account is to be closed.
If you wish to continue using this account, please upgrade to our services. Ignoring this message will cause your account to be closed.
Note: Please take a few moments to update your account now.
If you receive the alert on email, better close the message and delete the item from the inbox. It is also suggested to block the sender from your email application to stop receiving similar phishing email.
If “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” is showing as browser pop-up, it could be that an adware is dominating the operation of the infected browser application. In this case, we are suggesting to scan the computer with effective anti-virus and anti-malware tools.
“FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised computer.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Quick Fix - Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful virus removal tool is suggested. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like adware or malware, it is also effective in discovering malicious objects associated with “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon”.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious object related to “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon”.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” redirect. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to succeeding steps below.
Step 1 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of codes causing “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” to show up on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon”.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” pop-ups.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Step 2 : Delete Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted applications are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet software. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon”.
For Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find suspicious browser extension and Remove it from Google Chrome.
4. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
For Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is suspicious and may be relevant to “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon”. Click Remove to delete it from Mozilla Firefox.
For Internet Explorer (Uninstall For Edge Browser)
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable suspicious entries from Toolbars and Extension and Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” is still present on the IE browser, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select any distrustful item or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Please restart the computer to complete the uninstall procedure.
Step 3 : Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon”
Not all browser threats are the same. Some cannot be removed by deleting relevant extensions and codes. On this instance, resetting the browser to default configuration is the only best solution. If “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” is still bothering you after completing all the steps above, please execute the procedures below to reset the settings of affected browser program.
Use Chrome Clean Up Tool to Delete “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon”
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. Type this strings in the address box: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down and expand Advanced settings area.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset and Cleanup section.
5. Click on Clean Up Computer. On next page, please click FIND to proceed.
This feature of Google Chrome aims to find harmful software and remove it instantly. If unable to delete “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon”, the other option is to Reset Google Chrome settings to its original defaults. Just go back to previous page (Clean Up Computer) and reset the settings. See more details on this page.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
If Mozilla Firefox is affected by “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” and procedures above were not helpful, we suggest that you carry out these steps. This process can fix the issue by restoring Firefox browser to default factory state. Most browser data will be affected but not bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and internet cookies. Extensions and other installed plug-ins maybe deleted by this function. Therefore, if you wish to remove specific extension only, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser and type the following in the address bar: about:support
2. Browser will be directed to a page of Troubleshooting Information. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating ‘Give Firefox a Tune Up‘. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. Confirmation window will pop-up, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. The reset process will automatically close the browser and proceed with the restoration. Next, it will display a list of restored data. “FINAL REMINDER : Account will shut down soon” should be gone by now. Click Finish to close the current window and open a fresh window of Mozilla Firefox.