Eyes-Shield is an adware that operates as a browser extension to known internet program as Google Chrome, Edge, or Mozilla Firefox. This threat can carry out unwanted changes to the browser in order to successfully perform its tasks. Homepage, new tab, and search will all have the Eyes-shield.xyz as the new default URL. Right after that, Eyes-Shield may begin to initializes different forms of advertisements like pop-ups, banners, and push notifications.
Eyes-Shield Newtab is a PUP
This threat is known as direct descendants to preceding malicious browser extensions like Search-Mode, History-Cleaner, and Browsing-Guard. Like these old releases, Eyes-Shield also spreads in the same manner that its developers are employing misleading tactics. Most of its installation is without the authority of computer users, especially if the process was through software bundles. Because of this unsolicited installation, computer professionals categorized Eyes-Shield as a potentially unwanted program (PUP).
Eyes-Shield is a type of malicious program that greatly affects the browser operation. Although it is not considered as computer virus, there are still risks during its presence on the computer. Because of this, tolerating it is not good for the safety and online privacy of web users.
The risks of installing a PUP
Eyes-Shield is a browser hijacker that was placed under the group of PUP because it utilizes different methods to persuade users to install the app or its carrier file. Once Eyes-Shield is active on the computer, it can execute various payloads that can cause risks to online users and this includes the following:
Aggressive Advertisements – As an adware, Eyes-Shield will display several types of aggressive ads on the infected browser application. Bear in mind that this threat is operating as an adware and its ad inventory are unusual. Most of the ads presented by Eyes-Shield may contain links that can land the browser pages to insecure websites and hacker-operated online pages. The risk of further infecting the computer by accessing the intrusive advertisements are very likely.
Privacy Theft – Eyes-Shield Newtab was designed to activate tracking tools to be able to monitor how web users interact with the web. It can log information like search keywords, favorite websites, visited online pages, and so on. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that this tracking mechanism of Eyes-Shield will not reap private data like name, address, contact details, username, and passwords.
To conclude, only the removal of Eyes-Shield can restore the safety and privacy on the computer. Thus, we made a simple guide on this page along with virus and malware scanners to thoroughly check the computer and effectively remove all Eyes-Shield associated objects.
Eyes-Shield Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the Adware from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting pop-ups and redirects.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of adware like Eyes-Shield through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Eyes-Shield, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete Eyes-Shield adware including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Step 1 : Turn Off Sync on Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. In the address bar please type the following: chrome://settings/syncSetup
3. On Settings page, click the Turn off button to disable syncing Chrome settings between devices.
If in case that you don't want to stop syncing other sections like Apps, Bookmarks, History, Theme, and so on, please click on Manager what you sync. Next, select Customize sync. To successfully remove Eyes-Shield, you may disable only Apps and Extensions data. Please restart Google Chrome browser.
Step 2 : Delete Eyes-Shield or Suspicious Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Eyes-Shield. If it is not present, look for and delete any suspicious browser extension.
Remove Eyes-Shield Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Eyes-Shield or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Eyes-Shield Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Eyes-Shield and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that pop-ups and other troubles are gone from the browser.
Remove Eyes-Shield from Windows (Internet Explorer or Edge Browser)
1. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
2. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
3. Select Eyes-Shield or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
If Eyes-Shield is still present on the IE browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from the browser settings.
4. Open Internet Explorer program.
5. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
6. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Eyes-Shield from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete the same object from Search Providers section.
7. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
Step 3 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Eyes-Shield automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful virus and malware removal tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering adware like Eyes-Shield.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove adware like Eyes-Shield.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Eyes-Shield and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Eyes-Shield adware. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to the succeeding procedures below.
Step 4 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Eyes-Shield on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces annoying pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Eyes-Shield.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Eyes-Shield. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Eyes-Shield. If the adware still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Eyes-Shield. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Eyes-Shield. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Eyes-Shield.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Eyes-Shield extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Eyes-Shield. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Eyes-Shield should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Eyes-Shield and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.