The threat landscape is nearly entirely dominated by computer annoyances like adware, which coexist with equally prevalent virus attacks. Fortunately, malware is not a serious threat. The main goal is to access web browser software, especially Google Chrome. Once it has access to the target application, adware completely disregards user preferences and modifies the behavior of online apps. One instance of the adware that is currently active and targets browsers running Mac OS is called EssentialLoop.
More about EssentialLoop App
The same individuals who created similar threats like SearchProvided, MajorLookup, and many others are the developers of EssentialLoop. The concept behind these browser annoyances is that cybercriminals want to make money by seizing control of online programs. Since the takeover is obviously unfavorable for Mac users, the threat’s perpetrators have turned to a variety of sneaky entry techniques to sneak into the Mac system and invade the target browser program.
Malicious software bundles, which are frequently disguised as respectable freeware or shareware, are the first of the most popular factors in the effective deployment of EssentialLoop. While Mac users freely download and install these free apps without spending a dime, attackers are waiting in the shadows for the victims to unwittingly put EssentialLoop onto their browser program. The EssentialLoop app takes the same administrative privileges given to the host app because it is an addition to the core application. As a result, EssentialLoop effortlessly skips the installation permission stage. Additionally, EssentialLoop can be obtained by Mac users by masquerading as an Adobe software update, as shown in the screenshot below.
Users of Mac computers will notice EssentialLoop’s forceful response to internet browsing and searching as soon as it is activated on the browser. It takes over the site and search engine to advertise an affiliated, dubious search tool. Before the browser program gives the final search result on Yahoo or Google while EssentialLoop is handling the search function, there will be an observable series of redirects. The attacker’s goal here is to profit financially by coercing Mac users into using a third-party search engine.
There will be redirects in addition to a constant stream of pop-up adverts that operate on a pay-per-click basis. In other words, authors receive the same amount of money for every click. As a result, attackers have a greater chance of luring clicks by displaying a rotation of different ad types, which is why EssentialLoop’s ads are so prevalent.
By sending visitors to associated websites where the program can turn recommendations into money, the EssentialLoop app also makes money. In other words, the more traffic it diverts, the bigger the compensation these thieves can receive. This is unhealthy from the perspective of Mac users because the majority of destination websites are replete with spyware and malware that may quickly corrupt a Mac computer if accessed by accident.
Procedures to Remove EssentialLoop from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like EssentialLoop. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing EssentialLoop.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete EssentialLoop from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find EssentialLoop or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag EssentialLoop to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to EssentialLoop
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located EssentialLoop, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed EssentialLoop
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing EssentialLoop to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to EssentialLoop adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including EssentialLoop.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, EssentialLoop is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove EssentialLoop from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove EssentialLoop from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing EssentialLoop. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace EssentialLoop settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by EssentialLoop. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select EssentialLoop or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with EssentialLoop.