One more adware which targets Mac computers is referred to as ExtendedSprint. Some users may regard this as a useful internet browser extension because it is the way creators describe this application. In reality, ExtendedSprint app is a potentially unwanted application (PUA) that usually slips onto the Mac OS system through discrete software bundles. ExtendedSprint is owned by an adware family where AthenaSearch, PostiveSearchGuide, and AdvancedSprint also belongs.
More about ExtendedSprint app
As mentioned, ExtendedSprint smartly enters the Mac computer via dubious software packages and Mac owners are completely unaware of its installation. The authors of this adware hides the malicious code on freeware like games, media player, utilities, and bogus software updates. When installing, ExtendedSprint also discharges all its components and begin to dominate targeted internet application like Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox. It integrate codes into the browser and is defined as a functional extension that replaces some basic and default configurations.
The occurrence of ExtendedSprint may be the reason for the infected browser program to act uncommon. It can begin to manifest excessive display of ads like pop-ups, redirects, and push notifications. Furthermore, this adware may dominate the preferences on the home page and the default search tool. In addition to the mentioned disturbances, ExtendedSprint also performs a covert operation to monitor the surfing habits of Internet users and collect sensitive data such as search keywords, favorite sites, username, passwords as well as IP addresses.
Risks of installing ExtendedSprint
Typically, ExtendedSprint has been made to exploit the Internet browser program so that adware manufacturers can generate profits from the ads it displays on the screen. Its data gathering approach is a way to boost attacker’s online profit by issuing ads that are more personalized and match the online preferences of the Mac user. By posting more targeted ads, manufacturers of ExtendedSprint hope to generate more clicks that could lead to increased revenues.
Although ExtendedSprint is promoted as a browser extension that improves online browsing experience of the Mac user, its real purpose is to serve the intention of adware developers. There is no benefit to the end user. In fact, the infected browser program may issue a warning stating that “ExtendedSprintd will damage your computer.” Hence, it is recommended to delete ExtendedSprint from the browser to restore it to an impeccable and secure state. Complete guide to get rid of that threat is set out below.
Procedures to Remove ExtendedSprint from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like ExtendedSprint. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing ExtendedSprint.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete ExtendedSprint from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find ExtendedSprint or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag ExtendedSprint to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to ExtendedSprint
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located ExtendedSprint, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed ExtendedSprint
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- ExtendedSprint Daemon
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing ExtendedSprint to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- ExtendedSprint Daemon
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to ExtendedSprint adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including ExtendedSprint.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and ExtendedSprint is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove ExtendedSprint from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove ExtendedSprint from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the ExtendedSprint setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace ExtendedSprint settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by ExtendedSprint. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select ExtendedSprint or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with ExtendedSprint.