search-results.com is a home page redirect that most computer users considered as virus infection. Most recent issues are the hijacking triggered by sub domain dts.search-results.com. It is installed together with freeware and often without user’s consent. Once the adware is installed, it instantly replaces the home page with a default search from search-results.com. It normally affects common browsers like Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. In fact, mentioned browsers are most targeted by adware authors due to its huge number of users.
Freeware where search-results.com or Search-results Search is bundled with may come in many forms. It could be a download tool, Internet speed booster, games, utilities, or fake software update. Because of adware author’s ability to tap popular web site to hosts these programs, there is a big chance that user who fond of downloading free programs may be compromised by search-results.com hijacker.
In most cases, users are having difficulty in removing search-results.com. Not even a combination of scans from antivirus and anti-malware can stop the browser from being redirected to this site. However, we have found some technique used by browser redirect adware. They tend to modify the link of target browser so that it will open on a configured web address. In this case, browser is set to open to search-results.com.
Online Security Scanner Report for www.search-results.com (Search-results Search):
search-results.com is a simple browser redirect adware. Most online security scanner identified it as safe or harmless because the code that causing the redirects is not actually hosted on the said web address. If browser’s home page is experiencing hijacking issues, it simply states that the browser is the one holding the malicious code. At this point, you cannot rely on the scan result. To find if search-results.com, dts.search-results.com and other sub domain, is good or bad, you can read users comments and ratings.
|No Issues||Community Rating: 1.3/5.0||Updated: Aug. 14, 2016|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Aug. 14, 2016|
|Probably Safe||Ratings: 103 Likes, 20 Dislikes||Updated: Aug. 14, 2016|
search-results.com Removal Procedure
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like search-results.com. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to search-results.com. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to search-results.com. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove search-results.com Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted search-results.com from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of search-results.com on the affected browser.
Stage 4: Cleanup Internet Browser’s Shortcut Link
One method that starts your home page to unwanted address like search-results.com is by integrating the link to browser’s shortcut link. On this section, we will discuss the proper removal of unwanted entries on shortcut link.
Cleaning Internet Explorer’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Internet Explorer and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Internet Explorer.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to search-results.com. Please refer to image below.
Cleaning Google Chrome’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Google Chrome and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Google Chrome.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to search-results.com. Please see image below for your reference.
Cleaning Mozilla Firefox’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Mozilla Firefox and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Mozilla Firefox.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to search-results.com. See screenshot image below.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from search-results.com
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with search-results.com. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to search-results.com.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. search-results.com should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain it the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by search-results.com and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Post Last Modified On August 14, 2016