One of the Potentially Unwanted Application (PUA) that frequently infiltrates computers without users’ consent is Dark Mode Ext. Developers recommend it as a trustworthy and practical solution for swiftly activating the “Dark Mode” of a browser program. At first glance, it appears to be a standard software application, but sadly, it does not act as it claims to. Being a conversion tool is only a ruse to get browser users to download or set up Dark Mode Ext.
Is Dark Mode Ext a hijacker of the browser?
An unwanted program called Dark Mode Ext sneaks into browsers and computer programs without being noticed. Web browsers are altered after they have entered the computer. Popular internet applications are the Dark Mode Ext browser hijacker’s most frequent targets. By entering the unwanted website URL, it replaces the default search engine, new tab page, and home page of the web browser. Ads that are obtrusive and obnoxious will start to show up frequently after these changes. These advertisements can seem commonplace, yet they pose threats to users.
Dark Mode Ext: Is it risky?
Without the knowledge of computer users, the Dark Mode Ext behavior operates within the system. A prominent sign that adware has been placed on the browser is the change from the typical homepage to Dark Mode Ext. As you browse the internet, relevant advertisements will continually appear. The ads are of an odd type and shouldn’t be trusted because they can lead users to harmful websites, including adult-related websites, scam websites, or sale-based ad pages.
These intrusive advertisements may appear as pop-ups, banners, discount coupons, commercials, or survey pop-ups. In order to target commissions or money from users, it operates through the browser. When an advertisement is clicked, whether intentionally or not, users are automatically redirected to dubious web pages. Additionally, some advertisements can run scripts that download or install additional unwanted programs or apps on your computer, which can spread malware.
How does Dark Mode Ext get onto a computer?
Through the use of software bundles or packages and intrusive advertisements, adware, or PUA, can be installed on a computer. Unwanted programs like Dark Mode Ext might infiltrate computers through careless downloading and installation of freeware without carefully reviewing the contents. The adware’s creators disguised this dangerous program in software bundles that were installed together with the host program. Once inside the system, it will start carrying out its genuine, harmful tasks. Meanwhile, allowing this unwanted app access to your computer may be possible if you click on obtrusive advertisements. Not all advertisements are genuine; on occasion, they are used by online criminals to advertise and disseminate their dubious malware to computer users around the world.
Dark Mode Ext Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of browser hijacker like Dark Mode Ext through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Dark Mode Ext, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete Dark Mode Ext hijacker including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows includes Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Step 1 : Delete Dark Mode Ext Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs use an application called a "browser extension" to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend checking and removing the extension that is closely related to Dark Mode Ext. If it is not present, look for and delete any suspicious browser extension.
Remove the Dark Mode Ext Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open your Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard.
3. Find Dark Mode Ext or any relevant entry and remove it from the Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall the Dark Mode Ext Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions from the sidebar menu.
4. Look for an object that pertains to Dark Mode Ext and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that pop-ups and other troubles will be gone from the internet browser.
Remove Dark Mode Ext from Microsoft Windows and Edge Browser
1. On your keyboard, press Windows Key + R and then, type the appwiz.cpl command.
2. The Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in a chronological manner, with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on the 'Installed On' column.
3. Select Dark Mode Ext or a recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from the Windows system.
If Dark Mode Ext is still present on the browser and there are still homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the browser hijacker from the browser settings.
4. Open the Microsoft Edge program.
5. Input edge://extensions/ in the URL bar and press Enter on the keyboard.
6. Look for and Remove or Disable entries for Dark Mode Ext from the Installed Extensions area. Additionally, delete the same object from the Search Providers section by executing the Hijacker Removal Procedure for Edge.
7. Close the window and restart Microsoft Edge.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Dark Mode Ext automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Dark Mode Ext that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Dark Mode Ext.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Dark Mode Ext and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Dark Mode Ext browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Dark Mode Ext on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Dark Mode Ext.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Dark Mode Ext. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Dark Mode Ext. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Dark Mode Ext. The procedure below discusses on resetting various browsers to their default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to its default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extensions, such as Dark Mode Ext. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty removing unwanted extensions.
1. Open the Google Chrome internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press the Enter key.
3. Click on Reset Settings on the sidebar and choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. On the confirmation window, click the Reset settings button to clear all entries for Dark Mode Ext.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed the Dark Mode Ext extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extensions from Firefox that may be related to Dark Mode Ext. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only a specific extension, please see the manual removal of add-ons from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on the Firefox web address and press Enter on the keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section in the upper-right corner of the screen stating, Give Firefox a tune-up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If a confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Dark Mode Ext should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Microsoft Edge to Default Settings
1. Open the Microsoft Edge browser.
2. On the address bar, please input edge://settings/reset and press Enter on the keyboard.
3. Once you are on the Reset Settings page, click on Restore settings to their default values.
4. A confirmation window will appear; click on the Reset button to continue.
Your data, like favorites, bookmarks, and history, will remain in the browser. However, this process will delete add-ons by Dark Mode Ext and other unknown objects.