ConnectProcess is an unknown browser extension that is capable of penetrating the computer without the consent of users. It is presented by developers to be a capable and helpful application for Mac users. Just like ordinary software, installation is required before users can enjoy its full functionality. However, the question is, does ConnectProcess safe to be on the Mac computer? Does it cause no harm or infections? As we all know, there are lots of Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP) and adware roaming on the internet nowadays, which bring risk to computers and internet browser programs as well.
The ConnectProcess PUP
ConnectProcess is a Potentially Unwanted Application (PUP) and considered as a browser hijacker. The reason behind this classification is that this tool behaves just like any other suspicious browser tools as PureAdvantage, CharacterVirtualSearch, and FormulaBuffer. Its malicious functions are operating behind the knowledge of users. It infiltrates computer without permission and infects system to function differently. ConnectProcess targets main web browser and spy its activities (like search history, visited links, and etc.) and even user’s personal information stored on it. After that, ConnectProcess will make modifications to browser by replacing its setting to default using an unwanted search engine. Home page, new tab page, and search engine will be changed as per ConnectProcess operation.
ConnectProcess will begin to deploy malicious advertisements that consistently displaying on screen. These are like the typical ads in the form of campaign banners, discounted coupons, surveys, pop-up and commercial ads. These advertisements can be innocent-looking but it hides the risk to device and users. Either mistakenly or intentionally clicked, it can redirect users to malicious web pages even dangerous sites. (For example adult related sites, scam and phishing sites, or sale-based websites) In which user’s identity or personal information can be exposed or exploited by attackers to gain online profit.
Where does ConnectProcess come from?
As mentioned earlier, PUAs and adware do not need permission to enter devices. These kinds of applications like ConnectProcess can go through computers because of software bundle packages or clicking random ads while browsing the internet. “Bundling” is the term for software that is offered together for installation. These bundles can hide ConnectProcess to enter the computer without the user’s consent. Another is through clicking ads, not all ads we see on the internet are legitimate. Malware associated ads are sometimes the way for the developers to market their apps or programs to gain profit from fooling users.
ConnectProcess really causes harm to the computer and put Mac users’ online privacy at risk. Using it for any purposes is not recommended. To avoid installing ConnectProcess is the best thing to do. Being careful in downloading or installing apps or programs is very important. Use tools to scan or check device if there are any suspicious parasites going around.
Procedures to Remove ConnectProcess from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like ConnectProcess. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing ConnectProcess.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete ConnectProcess from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find ConnectProcess or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag ConnectProcess to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to ConnectProcess
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located ConnectProcess, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed ConnectProcess
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Connect Process App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing ConnectProcess to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Connect Process App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to ConnectProcess adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including ConnectProcess.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, ConnectProcess is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove ConnectProcess from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove ConnectProcess from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing ConnectProcess. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace ConnectProcess settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by ConnectProcess. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select ConnectProcess or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with ConnectProcess.