ConnectedField is a dubious addition for web applications running under Mac OS. On Firefox, Chrome, or Safari, it can show up without warning. Additionally, ConnectedField’s icon will be viewable in the Application folder, Dock, and browser settings. The majority of Mac users who encounter it believe it to be a virus because of its intrusive nature. Launch System, thankfully, does not belong to the list of viruses. But compared to computer viruses, this app is less dangerous and harmful.
ConnectedField Mac Penetration
The larger adware group, to which the ConnectedField software belongs, disseminates online via a variety of techniques. In order to propagate the undesirable program broadly, it was found that attackers are depending increasingly on the software bundling strategy. The ConnectedField app can be included in any free program that successfully entices web users to download it, including games, utilities, creativity suites, media players, file converters, and other freeware. These free programs are typically distributed on dubious websites including torrent portals, dubious freeware download pages, and websites that distribute pirated software. Additionally, there are instances where advertising coming from shady websites will pressure users to purchase ConnectedField app carriers, including fake updates for Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, and media players.
The actors who created ConnectedField also use aggressive ad types to approach web users in addition to the software bundling strategy. This pushy advertising campaign may also pose as a valuable software update to entice online users to download and install the setup file, which will actually start the process of loading ConnectedField.
ConnectedField is both adware and a PUA
The ConnectedField program functions as PUA and adware, just as prior variations like ConnectSystem and ThreadBit. Due to its proficiency in using several deceptive strategies to influence users and complete an undesired installation, it was classified as a potentially unwanted application (PUA). ConnectedField app conducts an advertising campaign to display several aggressive advertisements in the browser application when it successfully infiltrates a Mac computer. Remember that ads from ConnectedField are coming from a hidden ad network; therefore, many of them can have links that direct the browser to unfavorable landing pages.
Different annoyances and improper browser behavior are caused by ConnectedField’s presence. Even though it is not considered to be a computer virus, risk factors could emerge when it is present on Mac computers. Deleting the Launch System app is therefore strongly advised. Please proceed to the following section to view the full list of instructions. Scanners for viruses and malware are also included to see if the computer has any additional malware or adware infections.
Procedures to Remove ConnectedField from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer. Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
To successfully remove ConnectedField from your Mac, follow the steps below:
- Quick Fix : Scan the computer with the Combo Cleaner tool.
- Step 1 : Uninstall ConnectedField from the Applications folder.
- Step 2 : Remove malicious browser extensions.
- Step 3 : Delete ConnectedField files from your Mac computer.
- Step 4 : Run another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
- Step 5 : Remove ConnectedField entries from internet browsers.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like ConnectedField. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing ConnectedField.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete ConnectedField from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find ConnectedField or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag ConnectedField to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to ConnectedField
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located ConnectedField, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed ConnectedField
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Connected Field
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing ConnectedField to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Connected Field
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to ConnectedField adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including ConnectedField.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and ConnectedField is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove ConnectedField from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove ConnectedField from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the ConnectedField setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace ConnectedField settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by ConnectedField. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select ConnectedField or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with ConnectedField.