Untrustworthy software called Cities HD Backgrounds is designed to be a browser extension for internet browsers, especially like Google Chrome. It basically wants to take over control of the homepage, new tab, and default search engine as its major reason for attacking the internet program. As a result, Cities HD Backgrounds will now use an unknown search page as the server for handling all of the web user’s online searches. Cities HD Backgrounds also intends to gather a variety of information from the browser, which is one of its additional justifications for dominating internet software. Because it records information such as user name, email address, IP address, internet service provider (ISP), favorite websites, and browsing history, Cities HD Backgrounds’ activity may jeopardize users’ online privacy.
Installation of Cities HD Backgrounds
Cities HD Backgrounds’ primary method of dissemination, like the majority of adware currently active in the wild, is through deceptive advertising. When a user first visits a website that is frequently used for software piracy, illicit video streaming, or torrent sites, they are welcomed by deceptive pop-up advertisements.
Sometimes, fake pop-up adverts pose as critical software updates and demand that users download a patch right away to address problems with out-of-date software. However, after downloading and installing it, online users will start to understand that they actually obtained Cities HD Backgrounds rather than a software update.
Ways to avoid Cities HD Backgrounds
As noted, websites that distribute copyrighted content illegally serve as Cities HD Backgrounds’ primary sources (movies, video, music, software). In order to avoid installing harmful software like Cities HD Backgrounds, users should stay away from such websites. Users must always get Cities HD Backgrounds carrier from legitimate websites because it frequently poses as a necessary program update. For instance, it is safer to close the pop-up and go directly to the Adobe website, where you may download the necessary update. This is because the browser may otherwise prompt you that an Adobe Flash update is required.
Most importantly, having a security program that operates with real-time scanning, disables harmful websites, and has the ability to quarantine downloaded hazardous files is the best way to safeguard the computer against adware like Cities HD Backgrounds. Below are some examples of powerful anti-virus and anti-malware solutions that you may use to check your computer for and remove unwanted files associated with Cities HD Backgrounds.
Cities HD Backgrounds Removal Procedure
Below is a systematic instruction that is very useful in getting rid of the potentially unwanted program (PUP) from compromised Windows computer. Aside from removing the malicious browser extension, this guide is also helpful in deleting browser hijacker and pop-ups.
In order to totally eliminate the threat, it is vital to follow the process in exact manner.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of browser hijacker like Cities HD Backgrounds through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like Cities HD Backgrounds, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete Cities HD Backgrounds hijacker including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows includes Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Step 1 : Delete Cities HD Backgrounds Browser Extension
Most adware and unwanted programs are using a program called browser extension to be able to take over the settings of internet applications. Therefore, we highly recommend to check and remove the extension that is closely related to Cities HD Backgrounds.
Remove Cities HD Backgrounds Extension from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type chrome://extensions/ in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Find Cities HD Backgrounds or relevant entry and remove it from Google Chrome browser.
Uninstall Cities HD Backgrounds Extension from Mozilla Firefox
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type about:addons in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard.
3. Choose Extensions on sidebar menu.
4. Look for object that is pertaining to Cities HD Backgrounds and remove it from the browser.
After deleting the malicious browser extension, it is expected that Cities HD Backgrounds is also gone from the homepage.
Remove Cities HD Backgrounds Add-ons from Internet Explorer and Edge Browser
1. Open Internet Explorer program.
2. Go to top Menu and click Tools. Then, select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down list.
3. Look for and Remove or Disable entries of Cities HD Backgrounds from Toolbars and Extension. Additionally, delete unwanted entry from Search Providers section.
4. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer.
If Cities HD Backgrounds is still present on the IE browser and there are still unwanted homepage and pop-ups, another option is to remove the adware from Windows Control Panel.
5. Press Windows Key + R and then, type appwiz.cpl command.
6. Program and Features window will open. Arrange the list in chronological manner with recently installed applications on top. To do this, click on 'Installed On' column.
7. Select Cities HD Backgrounds or recently installed unwanted entry. Then, click on Uninstall to remove it from Windows system.
Step 2 : Scan the computer with Sophos Antivirus
To remove Cities HD Backgrounds automatically, scanning the computer with this powerful anti-virus tool is recommended. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering browser hijacker like Cities HD Backgrounds that slows down online browsing activities.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove malicious program like Cities HD Backgrounds.
6. Click the button to carry out the Scan. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Cities HD Backgrounds and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated the Cities HD Backgrounds browser hijacker. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the threat, please proceed to manual removal of associated objects as outlined below.
Step 3 : Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
In addition to the procedure, we suggest scanning the computer with AdwCleaner tool. Possibly, there are some traces of Cities HD Backgrounds on the browser that was not deleted during the preceding steps. This tool will scan the computer and check for presence of malicious applications as well as invalid browser entries that produces hijacking, redirects, and pop-ups.
1. Follow the link below to download the tool called AdwCleaner.
2. When the download has completed, please close all running programs on the computer especially browsers affected by Cities HD Backgrounds.
3. Browse the location of the downloaded file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. AdwCleaner searches the computer for malicious programs, extensions, plug-ins, adware, and any items that may be associated to Cities HD Backgrounds. It will also check for suspicious entries on browser settings that is associated with the hijacker.
5. Clean or Remove all suspicious and harmful items identified after the thorough scan.
6. After the cleanup procedure, rebooting the computer is required to finalize the removal of detected threats.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Cities HD Backgrounds. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Optional : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Cities HD Backgrounds. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Cities HD Backgrounds. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries of Cities HD Backgrounds.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Cities HD Backgrounds extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Cities HD Backgrounds. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Cities HD Backgrounds should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference. Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Cities HD Backgrounds and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please add-on removal from Internet Explorer.