The unknown browser extension CargoUltra has the ability to access computers without the users’ permission. The program’s creators tout it as a useful and capable tool for Mac users. Similar to regular software, installation is necessary before users may utilize all of its features. The question is, though, whether CargoUltra is secure enough to run on a Mac. Does it not harm or spread infections? As is common knowledge, a large number of potentially unwanted programs (PUP) and adware are currently active online, posing a threat to computers as well as web browser software.
CargoUltra is a PUP
CargoUltra is a browser hijacker and a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). This tool’s behavior is what led to its classification because it is exactly like that of other dubious browser add-ons, MultiFresh, ActiveAnalyzer, and TechSignalSearch. Its harmful features are active without the Mac user’s knowledge. It enters a computer without authorization and changes how the system works. CargoUltra monitors the user’s personal information kept on the main web browser as well as its actions (such as search history, links visited, and other things). After that, CargoUltra will alter the browser by changing the default search engine to one that is not desired. According to CargoUltra operation, the home page, new tab page, and search engine will be updated.
Malicious ads will start to appear on screens more often thanks to CargoUltra. These are similar to standard advertisements in the form of campaign banners, deals, surveys, pop-ups, and commercials. Despite their seemingly harmless appearance, these advertisements pose a risk to users’ devices. It can link web users to fraudulent web pages or even deadly sites if clicked on purposefully or accidentally. Sites where a user’s identity or personal information can be revealed or exploited by attackers to make money online, such as adult-related sites, scam and phishing websites, or sale-based websites.
The origin of CargoUltra adware
PUP’s and adware can penetrate devices without permission, as was already established. Computers can be infected by programs like CargoUltra due to software bundle packages or clicking random advertising while browsing the internet. Software that is supplied for installation as a bundle is referred to as “bundling.” These bundles can conceal CargoUltra, allowing it to access the computer without the user’s permission. Another way is through clicking on advertisements; however, not all online advertisements are trustworthy. Developers will sometimes employ malware-associated advertising to market their apps or programs in an effort to deceive customers and make money.
CargoUltra actually damages computers and jeopardizes the internet anonymity of Mac users. It is not advised to use it for anything. The best course of action is to refrain from installing CargoUltra. It’s crucial to use caution when downloading or installing programs or apps. Check your device with tools to see if any unusual parasites are present.
Procedures to Remove CargoUltra from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like CargoUltra. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing CargoUltra.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete CargoUltra from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find CargoUltra or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag CargoUltra to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to CargoUltra
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located CargoUltra, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed CargoUltra
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Cargo Ultra
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing CargoUltra to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Cargo Ultra
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to CargoUltra adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including CargoUltra.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and CargoUltra is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove CargoUltra from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove CargoUltra from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the CargoUltra setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace CargoUltra settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by CargoUltra. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select CargoUltra or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with CargoUltra.