The threat landscape is almost entirely dominated by computer annoyances like adware, which also frequently infects computers with ransomware. Adware is, fortunately, not very dangerous. Internet browser software like Google Chrome and Safari are its primary target. Adware fully disregards user preferences once it has entered the target application and changes the way that internet programs behave. BounceDaily is one type of adware that is currently active and targets browsers, especially those that are running Mac OS.
Details about the BounceDaily app
The creators of BounceDaily are also the ones who came up with numerous more threats, like FeedWild and CenterEssence. The concept behind these browser annoyances is that cybercriminals want to make money by seizing control of internet programs. Since the takeover is obviously unfavorable for Mac users, the threat’s perpetrators have turned to a variety of sneaky entry techniques to sneak into the Mac system and invade the target browser application.
Malicious software bundles, which frequently disguise themselves as respectable freeware or shareware, are the first of the most popular contributors to the effective deployment of BounceDaily. While Mac users freely download and install these free apps without spending a dime, attackers are waiting in the shadows for the victims to unwittingly add BounceDaily to their browser program. The BounceDaily app assumes the same administrative privileges as the host app because it is an addition to the core application. As a result, BounceDaily effortlessly skips the installation permission stage. Additionally, Mac users can obtain BounceDaily by misrepresenting it as an Adobe software update, as shown in the image below.
Mac users will begin to notice BounceDaily’s aggressive response to online browsing and searches as soon as it becomes active on the browser. It takes over the site and search engine to advertise an affiliated, dubious search tool. Before the browser program gives the final search result on Yahoo or Google while BounceDaily is handling the search function, there will be an observable series of redirects. The attacker’s goal here is to profit financially by coercing Mac users into using a third-party search engine.
There will be redirects in addition to a constant stream of pop-up ads that operate on a pay-per-click basis. In other words, authors receive the same amount of money for every click. As a result, attackers have a greater chance of capturing clicks by displaying a rotation of different ad types, which is why the advertising that BounceDaily reflects is so prevalent.
By sending internet traffic to connected websites where the program can turn recommendations into money, the BounceDaily app also makes money. In other words, the more traffic it diverts, the more compensation these thieves can receive. This is unhealthy from the perspective of Mac users because the majority of destination websites are replete with spyware and malware that may quickly corrupt a Mac computer if accessed by accident.
Procedures to Remove BounceDaily from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like BounceDaily. You may need to purchase the full version if you want to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until your antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates.
6. Next, click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing BounceDaily.
7. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete BounceDaily from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find BounceDaily or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag BounceDaily to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to BounceDaily
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located BounceDaily, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed BounceDaily
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing BounceDaily to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to BounceDaily adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download the most recent version if one is available. This is necessary for finding recent malware threats, including BounceDaily.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on the Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, and BounceDaily is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click the Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove BounceDaily from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to the Safari Menu located in the upper left-hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under the General tab, navigate to the Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that the "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove BounceDaily from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Input the following on the address bar and press Enter on the keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area on the sidebar.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Choose the unwanted homepage, and click on Ellipses (three dots) and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your homepage, replacing the BounceDaily setting. Click Save.
- To set the default search engine, go to the Search Engine area from the sidebar link.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Select the questionable Search Engine and click on Ellipses (three dots). ClickDelete. to remove it from the list.
- Go back to the Search Engine area and choose a valid entry (i.e., Google) from 'Search engine used in the address bar'.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- Click Home on the sidebar area.
- Under "New Windows and Tabs", you may choose Firefox Home (Default) or Custom URLs. - Input the desired URL to replace BounceDaily settings if you chose Custom URLs.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on the sidebar to display the settings.
- Under the Default Search Engine list, please select one (i.e., Google).
- On the same page, you have the option to Remove unwanted search engines.
Optional : If you are unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some users complain that there is no way to change browser settings because they are grayed out by BounceDaily. In such a situation, it is important to check if there is an unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select BounceDaily or any relevant profile from the left pane. See the image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click the minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to the image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with BounceDaily.