AthenaResults is a potentially unwanted application (PUA) made specifically to infiltrate Mac OS computers using invasive techniques. It targets well-known internet programs like Safari, Google Chrome, and Firefox. One objective of AthenaResults is to threaten web users online privacy and security by recording browsing activities to be able to gain enough data that attackers are going to use for serving personalized advertisements.
AthenaResults infection on Mac
Just like usual application, Mac users can manually download and install AthenaResults on their computer. However, this is not the case on how AthenaResults normally gains a spot on computer devices. Attackers behind this PUA are making use of several freeware and shareware that Mac enthusiast commonly obtain from different sources. For example, AthenaResults is integrated into the free media player, internet speed booster, creativity apps, and games. Mac users may never know that there is a threat waiting to infiltrate the computer once they download and install any of the said programs. The setup process does not disclose that AthenaResults is an element that will be installed along with the host freeware because this is how they configured the bundled app.
Creators of AthenaResults are also relying on malicious advertisement campaign as a secondary propagation channel to distribute the harmful browser extension. In order to win the web user’s trust, AthenaResults is promoted as a valuable browser boosting tool that provides quick and accurate search results. On other ads, AthenaResults is hidden behind the face of Adobe software update that is actually fake. This tactic easily convinces Mac user to download the program because of persuading contents and alarming warning if they fail to update the software.
Symptoms of AthenaResults infection
If the subject adware program successfully penetrates the computer, Mac user may experience various strange happenings on the internet browser applications. Here are some of them:
- There will be excessive pop-ups and redirects pointing to another harmful website
- When searching the internet, search results get redirected to unwanted search engine promoted by AthenaResults
- Push notifications will pop-up persistently containing annoying ads
- Infected browser program’s web page will display unknown search bar and web address appointed by AthenaResults
- Slows down internet connection due to too many requests originating from AthenaResults
Experiencing the said odd behavior on Mac computer may soon cause additional harm, especially the continuous redirect process that can land internet pages to sites that are hosting viruses and malware. Therefore, we suggest immediate removal of AthenaResults using the guide and tools on this page.
Procedures to Remove AthenaResults from Mac
This area contains comprehensive procedures to help you remove adware and potentially unwanted program from the computer.
Guide on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the Mac Computer with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of adware like AthenaResults. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads its latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing AthenaResults.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Delete AthenaResults from Mac Applications
1. Go to Finder.
2. On the menu, click Go and then, select Applications from the list to open Applications Folder.
3. Find AthenaResults or any unwanted program or suspicious item. It could be in disguise as a different file.
4. Drag AthenaResults to Trash Bin to delete the application from Mac.
5. Right-click on Trash icon and click on Empty Trash.
Step 2 : Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to AthenaResults
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari - Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome - Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox - Choose Add-ons from the Menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plug-ins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located AthenaResults, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 3 : Delete Malicious Files that have installed AthenaResults
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder...
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
The term unknown is just a representation of the actual malware name. Attackers may masks the actual name with following:
- Athena Results App
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing AthenaResults to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most latest ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
Important: Take note of all the suspicious files as you may also delete the same item on another folder as we go on.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Please restart the computer.
7. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
8. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step 4. Drag them to the Trash.
9. Repeat the process on the following non-hidden folders (without ~):
10. Lastly, go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Athena Results App
Optional : For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to AthenaResults adware.
Step 4 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including AthenaResults.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, AthenaResults is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 5 : Remove AthenaResults from Homepage and Search
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
- Under General tab, navigate to Default Search Engine section and select Google or any valid search engine.
- Next, be sure that "New Windows Open With" field is set to Homepage.
- Lastly, remove AthenaResults from the Homepage field. Replace it with your preferred URL to be set as your default homepage.
- Open Chrome browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and press Enter on keyboard : chrome://settings/
- Look for 'On Startup' area.
- Select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'.
- Click on More Actions and select Edit.
- Enter the desired web address as your home page, replacing AthenaResults. Click Save.
- To set default search engine, go to Search Engine area.
- Click on 'Manage search engines...' button.
- Go to questionable Search Engine. Click on More Actions and Click 'Remove from list'.
- Go back to Search Engine area and choose valid entry from Search engine used in the address bar.
- Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Type the following on the address bar and hit Enter on keyboard : about:preferences
- On Startup area, select 'Show your home page' under 'When Firefox starts' field.
- Under Home Page field, type the desired URL to replace AthenaResults settings.
- To configure default search engine, select Search on left sidebar to display settings.
- Under Default Search Engine list, please select one.
- On the same page, you have an option to Remove unwanted search engine.
Optional : If unable to change browser settings, execute these steps:
Some user complains that there is no way to change browser settings because it is grayed out by AthenaResults. In such situation, it is important to check if there is unwanted profile. Please do the following:
1. Quit any running applications and launch System Preferences from your Dock.
2. Under System Preferences, click Profiles.
3. Select AthenaResults or any relevant profile from the left pane. See image below.
4. At the bottom of this window, click minus [-] button to delete the account. Please refer to image above.
5. Close the Profiles window and open the affected browser to change all settings associated with AthenaResults.