Apple Platform Security fake pop-up alert is being used by cyber scammers, especially those that are involved in bogus Mac Technical Support. This pop-up will show up on the computer when a Mac user pays a visit to malicious websites, particularly the ones that are engaging in the copyright infringement. Distrusted sites that are offering free downloads of movies, software, and music may redirect the browser pages to unsolicited location that displays Apple Platform Security fake pop-up alert.
The mere objective of the scam pop-up claiming to be Apple Platform Security is to mislead web users into availing of the Apple Support with Toll Free number +1-(888)-585-7736. Communicating with the said fake Apple Support may entice the user to download an app that will give the attacker remote access to the affected computer.
Risks to privacy and security
In some cases, Apple Platform Security fake pop-up can lead to more troubles. Because the offenders were able to gain full access to the computer, they may plant additional threat or issue. Obviously, they are going to fix it but will be billed to user as separate charges.
The entry of these cyber crooks on the computer may also lead to privacy theft. They can read and collect sensitive information and log data like username, saved passwords, contact details, and computer configuration. Later on, these scammers may misuse collected data for their other online frauds.
Stopping Apple Platform Security fake alert
We recommend to clean the computer in order to stop the fake pop-up alert. Removing the threat saves Mac users from unnecessary technical support charges and also avoid looming identity theft. To thoroughly clean the computer, please refer to the guide in the next section. As suggested, run a thorough scan using effective anti-virus and anti-malware tools.
Her is an excerpt from the fake alert of Apple Platform Security
Apple Platform Security
Access to this PC has been blocked for security reasons.
Your computer has alerted us that it has been infected with a Trojan Spyware. The following data has been compromised.
– Email Credentials
– Banking Passwords
– Facebook Login
– Picture & Documents
Apple Platform Security has found potentially unwanted Adware on this device that can steal your passwords, online identity, financial information, personal files, pictures or documents.
You must contact us immediately so that our engineers can walk you through the removal process over the phone.
Call Apple Support immediately to report this threat, prevent identity theft and unlock access to this device.
Closing this window will put your personal information at risk and lead to a suspension of your Mac Registration.
Call Apple Support: +1-888-308-5141 (Toll Free)
Procedures to Remove Apple Platform Security Fake Alert from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide for Mac users. It will help you remove malicious browser hijacker from internet application.
Procedures on this page are written in a manner that can be easily understand and execute by Mac users.
Quick Fix - Scan the System with Combo Cleaner
Combo Cleaner is a trusted Mac utility application with complete antivirus and optimization features. It is useful in dealing with adware, malware, and PUP's. Moreover, it can get rid of malicious browser hijacker like Apple Platform Security Fake Alert. You may need to purchase full version if you require to maximize its premium features.
1. Download the tool from the following page:
2. Double-click the downloaded file and proceed with the installation.
3. In the opened window, drag and drop the Combo Cleaner icon onto your Applications folder icon.
4. Open your Launchpad and click on the Combo Cleaner icon.
5. Wait until antivirus downloads it's latest virus definition updates and click on "Start Combo Scan" to start removing Apple Platform Security Fake Alert.
6. Free features of Combo Cleaner include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus and privacy scanner, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Proceed with the rest of the removal steps if you are comfortable in manually removing malicious objects associated with the threat.
Step 1 : Double-check with MBAM Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Apple Platform Security Fake Alert.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Apple Platform Security Fake Alert is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Check if your internet browser application is no longer being bothered by Apple Platform Security Fake Alert. If the browser hijacker still persists, please continue with the steps below to reset internet programs to default settings.
Step 2 : Reset Internet Browser Program
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Apple Platform Security Fake Alert fake alert. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Clear the Safari Internet Browser (Mac)
1. Open your Safari browser application.
2. In the Safari menu, click on Preferences from the drop-down list.
3. On Preferences window, please select the Privacy tab.
4. Click on Manage Website Data button.
5. Select unwanted/suspicious entry and click the Remove button. If you choose to Remove All, you may be logout from most visited websites and online services. Therefore, we advise to remove suspicious item one at a time to prevent changing behavior towards your favorite websites.
6. If it prompts, please confirm your actions.
7. Next, we will need to clear the Cache. Back at the Safari Preferences window, choose Advanced tab.
8. Navigate to the bottom and activate Show Develop menu in menu bar.
9. Go to Safari menu, choose on Develop from the drop down list and click on on Empty Caches.
10. Next thing to do is to restore the Homepage to your preference and remove the one from Apple Platform Security Fake Alert fake alert.
11. Back at the Safari Preferences window, click on General tab.
12. Under Homepage section, type your desired URL to be the default start-up page.
13. Lastly, make sure to have the right Search Engine.
14. Go back to Safari Preferences window and click on Search tab.
15. Select your desired Search tool under the Search engine section.
16. You may not restart Safari browser.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension that produces the Apple Platform Security Fake Alert scam alert. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. On the address bar, type chrome://settings/reset and press Enter key.
3. Under Reset and clean up section, choose Restore settings to their original defaults.
4. Click Reset settings button to clear all entries related to Apple Platform Security Fake Alert scam pop-up.
5. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Apple Platform Security Fake Alert extension and associated objects.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Apple Platform Security Fake Alert fake pop-up alert. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Input the string about:support on Firefox web address and press Enter on keyboard.
2. You will now see the Troubleshooting Information page of Mozilla Firefox.
3. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tune up. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
4. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
5. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Apple Platform Security Fake Alert fake alert should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.