360eyao is a genuine example of a highly hazardous computer virus. This ransomware is a file-coder virus and blackmailing threat that targets the most important files of computer users. Once 360eyao ransomware successfully penetrates the computer, it will act immediately to take away the privilege of users from accessing their valuable data. It perfectly executes this task by encrypting the files with complex method that will require appropriate decryption software to perform a successful data recovery. Due to lack of decryption tool, attackers takes the opportunity to demand for steep ransom money from their victims.
How 360eyao virus infects the computer?
Ransomware such as 360eyao is often distributed to random computer users via the mass-mailing campaign. This is a tricky method because the recipient would never be suspicious about how dangerous the email is. It usually arrives in the inbox as legitimate-looking business correspondence. Therefore, the recipients easily falls into the trap and executes the attached file as it is instructed in the message. On some instances, the attackers are embedding malicious link on the message that acts in the same way of initializing the infection when user clicks on it.
Do not be mistaken that only email users are the target of 360eyao ransomware. Attackers behind this file-coder are also distributing copies of the virus via Trojan Downloader, malicious links from social media and blog posts, pirated software, dubious freeware, infected websites, and so on. It was also observed that hackers may exploit the misconfigured remote desktop protocol (RDP) to brute force its access on the computer. Hence, this may happen on intentional type of attack where hackers are specifically choosing company or organization they wish to target.
File Encryption by 360eyao ransomware
The prevailing ransomware infection often leads to file-encrypting actions. On this specific case, 360eyao aims at selecting the crucial files on the computer and applies a sophisticated algorithm to make them inaccessible. Aside from denying user’s access to their important data, the virus disassociates the file from programs where it was created. It will append .360eyao file extension to rename the encrypted files. To show an example, the common file letter.doc will transform into letter.doc.360eyao.
After encrypting the data, 360eyao ransomware informs users that the majority of their files are already encrypted. The letter also warns victims that renaming or using third party recovery software may cause permanent data loss. Here is an excerpt from the ransom note.
Your important files are encrypted. Many of your documents, photos, passwords, databases and other files are no longer accessible because they have been encrypted. Maybe you are busy looking for way to recover your files , but do not waste your time. Nobody can recover your files without our decryption KEY (if somebody will tell that they can do it, they will also contact me and I will make the price so much expensive than if you contact directly)
Can i Recover My Files?
Sure. We guarantee that you can recover all your files safely and easily But You have not so enough time . So If you want to decrypt all your files, you need to pay . You only have 12H to submit the payment. After that price will be higher also, If the transaction is not completed within 24 hours your files will be permanently deleted. Send e-mail to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
[expand title=”Technical Data of 360eyao Ransomware”]
|Threat Name||G360eyao Ransomware, Hakbit, Thanos|
|Threat Type||Crypto-virus, File Locker, Encryption Virus|
|Ransomware Note File||HOW_TO_DECYPHER_FILES.txt|
|Virus Alias||Ad-Aware : Trojan.MSIL.Basic.6.Gen|
AegisLab : Trojan.Win32.Basic.4!c
BitDefender : Trojan.MSIL.Basic.6.Gen
Comodo : Malware@#3644hgfsr63pc
Emsisoft : Trojan.MSIL.Basic.6.Gen (B)
ESET-NOD32 : A Variant Of MSIL/Filecoder.Thanos.A
Kaspersky : HEUR:Trojan.MSIL.AntiAV.gen
McAfee : Ransom-Thanos!D11377A3EAD4
Microsoft : Trojan:Win32/Ymacco.AA1B
Sophos : Mal/Generic-S
Symantec : ML.Attribute.HighConfidence
ZoneAlarm : HEUR:Trojan.MSIL.AntiAV.gen
Backup your files
One important step before proceeding with the procedures below is to backup your files. Ransomware are not the same. Each has its unique sets of payloads aside from encrypting the files with complex method. Others tend to delete the infected files after certain period, while others keep them concealed on hidden places. In addition, ransomware decryption tools are not guaranteed to be perfect, there are instances that files suffer from damages during the decryption process.
So, create a backup copy of your entire 360eyao encrypted files right now.
360eyao Ransomware Removal Guide
First thing to do is remove the 360eyao virus before attempting the decryption. Remember that as long as the ransomware is active, it will repeatedly encrypt the files on the compromised computer.
Infection of 360eyao ransom virus is dangerous to the system because it can inject files that runs each time Windows starts. To prevent the malicious files from loading, Windows operating system must run with minimal process and it can be done through SafeMode With Networking.
Quick Fix - Scan the PC with Combo Cleaner for Windows
Combo Cleaner is a trusted PC security and optimization tool equipped with powerful virus and malware detection engine. This program can get rid of ransomware like 360eyao through this procedure.
1. Download the application from the following page:
2. Save the file to your preferred location.
3. Double-click the downloaded file CCSetup.exe and install with the default settings.
4. At the end of the setup process, click Finish to run Combo Cleaner.
5. The tool will update the signature file, please wait for this process to complete.
6. To begin checking for threats like 360eyao, click on the Start Scan button. Wait for this scan to finish.
7. At the end of the scan process, click on Remove all threats to delete 360eyao ransomware including all malicious objects from the computer.
Free features of Combo Cleaner for Windows include Disk Cleaner, Big Files finder, Duplicate files finder, and Uninstaller. To use antivirus, privacy scanner, and to delete identified threats, users have to upgrade to a premium version.
Please continue with the succeeding removal procedures if your are comfortable to manually get rid of the threat and malicious items linked with it.
Stage 1 : Temporarily Disable System Restore on Windows OS
Because 360eyao and relevant virus is capable of reinstating itself by exploiting the System Restore of Windows, we suggests that you temporary disable System Restore while executing the steps. This option is also helpful to effectively run a full scan on the computer.Do not forget to enable back System Restore after completing the removal of 360eyao ransomware. This feature is vital in reinstating the operating system to previous normal working condition in case of problems or conflicts occurs.
Stage 2 : Start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking
Windows 10/11 Guide
1. Click on Windows logo and select Power icon when options pop-ups.
2. Select Restart from the options while pressing Shift key on the keyboard.
3. Choose an Option window will appear, select the Troubleshoot button.
4. On next window, please choose Advanced Option.
5. On Advanced Option window, click on Startup Settings and then, click Restart button to reboot the computer.
6. When Windows boot on Startup Settings, press function key F5 or number 5 on keyboard.
A simpler alternative for Windows 10 users is to scan the computer with Microsoft Defender Offline. This will run a virus scan in the recovery environment.
Windows 8 Guide
1. Click Windows Start icon at the lower left section of the screen.
2. Open Search window and type Advanced in the field. It will open General PC Settings.
3. Click on Advanced Startup and then, click on Restart Now button.
4. Once the computer starts in Advanced Startup option menu, select Troubleshoot.
5. Next, click on Advanced Options to reveal the next section.
6. Click Startup settings and then, click Restart button to boot the PC in Startup Settings.
7. Use function key F5 or number key 5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Stage 3 : Scan the Computer with Sophos Antivirus
Ransomware files are placed deeply into the system and on various locations, thus, thorough scanning is vital to totally remove 360eyao virus. Aside from our suggested tool, you may also run your own security program.
To remove 360eyao automatically, scanning the computer with this efficient anti-malware tool is suggested. This scanner does not just uncover known threats like viruses or malware, it is also effective in discovering hazardous ransomware like 360eyao.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file on your computer where you can easily access it.
2. Once the download completes, browse the location of the file. Double-click to run the program and begin the install process.
3. On first windows of installation wizard, click Next to continue. Then, it will display the program’s License Agreement. You need to Accept the terms in order to proceed. If Windows prompts for User Account Control, please click Yes to proceed.
4. On succeeding windows, click Next or Continue to carry on with the installation. After completing the installation process, Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool.
5. Internet connection is required when running this virus scanner in order to download important updates. Make sure that everything is up-to-date to effectively remove 360eyao ransomware and other relevant viruses.
6. Click the Start Scanning button to inspect the computer. This will check the system for presence of malicious objects, malware, and viruses. The tool reveals items that were found linked to 360eyao and other suspicious entities. Be sure to remove all identified threats.
The above procedures should have totally eliminated 360eyao ransomware. However, if you found that there are still remnants of the virus, please proceed to succeeding procedures below.
Stage 4 : Double-check with Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for 360eyao ransomware. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message "This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product." You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all 360eyao ransom virus entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that 360eyao ransomware have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Recover Files from 360eyao Ransomware Infection
On this section, we will provide ways to decrypt files infected with 360eyao ransomware. Aside from dedicated decryption software and common tools, other options for file recovery are provided. As much as we can, we will update this area whenever there is new and more suitable decryption tool was made available.
Decrypting 360eyao infected files with Emsisoft Tools
This service from Emsisoft is helpful in unlocking encrypted files without paying the ransom. The page provides the list of ransomware decryption tools. All you have to do is look for the specific tool and start recovering the 360eyao encrypted file.
Option 1: Windows Previous Version Tool
Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a feature called Previous Versions. However, this tool is only usable if restore point was made prior to ransomware infection. To use this tool as "recovery option" for files encypted by 360eyao virus, please follow these steps:
1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click on the affected files or folders. From the drop-down list, please click on Restore previous versions.
3. New window will open display all backup copy of files and folders you wanted to recover. Choose the appropriate file and click on Open, Copy, or Restore. Restoring selected files overwrites the current locked files on the computer. The tool is not actually recovering files encrypted by 360eyao. Instead, it restores files from backup copy.
Option 2: Use ShadowExplorer to restore files encrypted by 360eyao Ransomware
Just like Previous Version tool, ShadowExplorer is taking advantage of shadow copy created by Windows. This tool allows you to retrieve older version of files before it was encrypted by 360eyao ransomware.
1. Download ShadowExplorer from the official web site.
2. Install the program with the default settings.
3. The program should run automatically after installation. If not, double-click on ShadowExplorer icon.
4. You can see the drop-down list on top of the console. Please select proper drive and the most recent point-in-time shadow copies of files you wish to restore prior to 360eyao ransomware infection.
5. Right-click on the Drive, Folder, or File you wish to restore and click Export...
6. Lastly, ShadowExplorer will prompt for location where you want to save the copy of recovered files.
How to protect the computer from 360eyao ransomware?
After the removal of the ransomware, it is important to prevent similar incident from happening again. In order to protect the computer effectively, computer user must know how 360eyao ransomware was able to infect the computer. To minimize the possible infection, staying away from the common sources of this virus is crucial.
How 360eyao ransomware can infect your computer?
The method of infecting the computers was found to be similar as other common viruses. Though, ransomware like 360eyao is seen to have efficient deployment via spam email messages, web injectors, malicious software installers, misleading online advertisements, and through another virus infection.
Once the virus is executed, it immediately infects the system. Then, 360eyao ransomware communicates to remote server so that unique key can be generated for the specific computer. After acquiring the key, it starts to decrypt target files using a complex method that is almost unbreakable. On the last stage of the attack, 360eyao ransomware demands for ransom money as payment for the decryption tool. To further understand the attack scheme, we have included an infographic below.
Securing the computer against ransomware attack
Do a Regular File Back-up - Always backup your data on a separate storage devices such as external hard drives, optical discs, or online backup services.
Keep Your Software Updated - Make sure that you have the latest software updates especially on the operating system. Recent updates often contain vital security patches to help protect the computer against all forms of threats.
Install a Security Program - Protect the computer with effective anti-virus application using efficient real-time scanning. Regularly run a complete scan to check the computer for presence of malware.
Protect your files with Controlled Folder Access (Windows 10)
For Windows 10 users, aside from protecting the computer using anti-virus or anti-malware programs, one way to protect against ransomware attack is by using Controlled Folder Access. This feature of Windows Defender Security Center may not prevent the 360eyao ransomware infection, but it can protect the folder and files in general. Follow the steps to enable Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10.
1. Go to Windows 10 Taskbar and search for Windows Defender Security Center.
2. Open Windows Defender Security Center and click on Virus & Threat Protection icon.
3. On next window, please click on Ransomware Protection.
4. Under Controlled Folder Access section, switch the slider to On. That will enable the feature and protect the folder against 360eyao or any type of ransomware.
5. Click on Protected Folderslink to include additional folders. Make sure that folders where important files are located should be included in the list.
Certain programs maybe blocked by Controlled Folder Access feature. To fix the issue, simply have the specific program to be white listed.
1. Under Protected Folders, click Allow an app through controlled folder access.
2. Next, click the Add an allowed app and include the target executable file.
This Controlled Folder Access feature is one way to protect files against 360eyao. Other important things to do in keeping files safe against ransomware is through early prevention like keeping programs updated, install an efficient security program, an do regular file backup on a separate media drive.